TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 18:46
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 18, 2006

Hi, everybody,

Here is my problem. I have a ppt file from an agency that uses Wordfast. I have Trados 6.5 and I am going to do this in Trados. Is there any way to save the bilingual ttx file as a file that can be cleaned by Wordfast? An am new to Trados, so perhaps the answer is simple, but not for me....

Thanks in advance.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 11:46
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Tricky business! Dec 18, 2006

The fact is that cleanable bilingual files are not that useful for translating PowerPoint with WordFast. The reason is that translation is done "alive", it is, you must to have the PPT document open while you open a blank document in Word and uses WF to translate. The PPT document is updated usually every time you finish translating a slide, and is the one to save, while the bilingual Word file in the practice only is used for generating the TM.

What I would send the customer in yo
... See more
The fact is that cleanable bilingual files are not that useful for translating PowerPoint with WordFast. The reason is that translation is done "alive", it is, you must to have the PPT document open while you open a blank document in Word and uses WF to translate. The PPT document is updated usually every time you finish translating a slide, and is the one to save, while the bilingual Word file in the practice only is used for generating the TM.

What I would send the customer in your case would be the TM. Of course, you can also send the TTX files , once converted to RTF , using some template as TTXpress (http://www.terminologymatters.com/ttxpress.html), but they would serve basically for reproducing the TM and the customer would have to process the PPT again for getting the translated ppt.

It is, WordFast does not use cleanable files for getting the translation of PPT slides.

saludos
Collapse

Beata Baika (X)
Beata Baika (X)
Romania
Local time: 19:46
German to Romanian
+ ...
Hello Katarzyna! Dec 18, 2006

In my opinion you must send your customer a translated ppt file.
You will make the translation with TagEditor and you will get a fine translated ppt file (save target as ppt), that can be easy checked by the proofreader of the customer and you will save the time of processing a ppt file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making Wordfast cleanable files from Trados ttx

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »