https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/61934-this_command_is_not_availabe_because_a_translation_unit_is_open.html

This command is not availabe because a translation unit is open
Thread poster: Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 06:23
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 19, 2006

SDL Trados 7.5.0.756, Word 2000, Windows Media Center Edition (XP Pro)

I can't close a Word doc translated with Trados. If I try, I get the above quoted error message, regardless whether Workbench is running or not.

Somebody else had this problem and posted it in the forum. The solution at that time was the "Fix document" command in Trados.

However, this doesn't help in my case. I tried any available Trados command and macro, to no avail. I tried saving t
... See more
SDL Trados 7.5.0.756, Word 2000, Windows Media Center Edition (XP Pro)

I can't close a Word doc translated with Trados. If I try, I get the above quoted error message, regardless whether Workbench is running or not.

Somebody else had this problem and posted it in the forum. The solution at that time was the "Fix document" command in Trados.

However, this doesn't help in my case. I tried any available Trados command and macro, to no avail. I tried saving the file under a different name, as rtf, copy&pasting it in a new doc... Anything else I can try in the future? (I bit the bullet and proofread the 20+ pages again again, saving every few paragraphs under a new name - no problems this time.)

This file had caused problems all along. I started out in TagEditor, but couldn't clean it. So I ran the tm again against the original Word doc.

Does anybody have any idea what might have been the reason for this mess?
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 07:23
German to English
+ ...
Close segment Dec 19, 2006

Hello,

the solution ist to close the segment.

1.: Maybe you close the workbench: Ok, open the workbench again.

2. You don't know the position of the open segment: Ok ope the bookmark dialog in Word and go to the tw4Win bookmarks

3. Close the segment.

4. If there seems to be no open segment, there is maybe a failure in the word file. You can delete all tw4win bookmarks. After this you should save the word file.

Often it
... See more
Hello,

the solution ist to close the segment.

1.: Maybe you close the workbench: Ok, open the workbench again.

2. You don't know the position of the open segment: Ok ope the bookmark dialog in Word and go to the tw4Win bookmarks

3. Close the segment.

4. If there seems to be no open segment, there is maybe a failure in the word file. You can delete all tw4win bookmarks. After this you should save the word file.

Often it is better to translate word files in Tageditor.

Regards

Hans
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no open segments Dec 19, 2006

Hi Hans,

I had previously closed all segments and cleaned the file. Ie. there was officially not a single Trados segment left, only clean translated text. Of course, I would have thought of closing any open segment first!

Deleting the bookmarks worked, though! Thanks!

As I mentioned, I started out with TE and couldn't clean up the translation or save the target. Maybe there's a connection...
... See more
Hi Hans,

I had previously closed all segments and cleaned the file. Ie. there was officially not a single Trados segment left, only clean translated text. Of course, I would have thought of closing any open segment first!

Deleting the bookmarks worked, though! Thanks!

As I mentioned, I started out with TE and couldn't clean up the translation or save the target. Maybe there's a connection...

Thanks!
Collapse

Amir Kamel
Amir Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Undo Dec 19, 2006

We all know the "undo" feature of Microsoft Word. Trados makes some steps when executing a command to open a cell or close&get the next.

press Ctrl+z till you have the source back and no {} appears in the file above or below the segment.

I hope this be the appropriate solution.

Thank you

lin quan
lin quan
Local time: 13:23
English to Chinese
choose fix document Dec 19, 2006

Simple problem.
you can choose fix document from menu of word.

Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
it happened to me too Dec 19, 2006

[quote]DSC wrote:

Often it is better to translate word files in Tageditor.

It happened to me too.
I couldn't close word file.
Why is it better to work with Tageditor then?

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Word --> TagEditor Dec 19, 2006

Rita Bilancio wrote:

It happened to me too.
I couldn't close word file.
Why is it better to work with Tageditor then?

Hello,

if you use TagEditor you will not have the same trouble with bookmarks, headers and footers, font changes, .......

You can use the Terminologie Verifier and the QA Checker in Tageditor which can help you to find errors in your translation.

but sometimes you will have troubles with saving the translation back to word. There some issues in the SDL Trados Support database which are useful to read.

Greetings

Hans

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wish I'd thought of that... Dec 19, 2006

lin quan wrote:

Simple problem.
you can choose fix document from menu of word.

What a great idea! I wish I'd thought of that...

Maybe you should read the entire post before answering!

[Edited at 2006-12-19 15:25]

Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
thanks, I'll try then! Dec 22, 2006

Hello,

if you use TagEditor you will not have the same trouble with bookmarks, headers and footers, font changes, .......

You can use the Terminologie Verifier and the QA Checker in Tageditor which can help you to find errors in your translation.

but sometimes you will have troubles with saving the translation back to word. There some issues in the SDL Trados Support database which are useful to read.

Greetings

Hans

T
... See more
Hello,

Greetings

Hans

Thanks Hans,
I'll try to with my new jobs!

Merry Christmas and happy 2007!

Regards,
Rita
Collapse

Frankfu
Frankfu
Local time: 13:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
just delete the section you use trados to translate just now. so you can solve the problem Jan 12, 2007

Yes, it is simple.
I also meet this problems just now.
I try this and that way. I even google it. But I am confussed by those professional way.
Finally, I tried to delete the section I used trados to translate just before this problem happening.
And then I can save and closethe doc.(before I even can not close the doc. The error message always appear).

It is simple and a little of stupid. Haha
But it works

Anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This command is not availabe because a translation unit is open

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »