A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 19, 2006

Hi Everyone!

I've got to translate to some .xml files generated using InDesign. I'm trying to translate them using TRADOS 7. The problem I have is that when I open a segment, I sometimes get two sentences together. The first sentence is the end of one paragraph and the second is the beginning of the next. Or the first the the end of one bullet point and the second is the beginning of the next. When I see the preview of the source, I see that there is a square between the two se
... See more
Hi Everyone!

I've got to translate to some .xml files generated using InDesign. I'm trying to translate them using TRADOS 7. The problem I have is that when I open a segment, I sometimes get two sentences together. The first sentence is the end of one paragraph and the second is the beginning of the next. Or the first the the end of one bullet point and the second is the beginning of the next. When I see the preview of the source, I see that there is a square between the two sentences, so there must be some kind of code there. I've queried it with the author and he says he sees a question mark in InDesign where the line break occurs.

I'm not sure if the error is being generated in InDesign or if there is something I need to configure in TRADOS so that the sentences are separated properly into segments.

I hope I've explained the problem remotely coherently!

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ana
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Dec 19, 2006

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Ralf! Dec 19, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

Sorry Ralf!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try to corner that character and add it to segmenting chars Dec 19, 2006

I see that there is a square between the two sentences, so there must be some kind of code there. I've queried it with the author and he says he sees a question mark in InDesign where the line break occurs.

You can add characters to the list of "segment breakers" (per default hard return, period, colon ...) Its in the wtb setup. Its just a question, which character it could be.

The alternative is to use "Shorten the segment" (or whatever that command is called in English - see Trados menu entry in word). If everything is OK, the segment should split. This works only on virgin i.e. not yet translated segments. And it's a pain in the neck, if you have to do a couple of hundreds of them.

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2006-12-19 14:34]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with InDesign-generated .xml files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »