To read 100 percent and Fuzzy match words isn't proofreading work?
Thread poster: shstephaniepark

shstephaniepark
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
Dec 29, 2006

Hello,

My client uses SDLX software for translation. He asked me of translating sentences not translated and of just looking though 100 percent and fuzzy match-words. He does not pay for 100 match but half-tarif for fuzzy match-words.

The problem is I find some erreurs and mistranslations even though it is written as 100 percent matched. So I made a list of these erreurs every time. Of course, I am not paid for it.

I think the client should pay me for reading 100 percent matched words because it is proofreading and revision work in fact.

I wonder how other translators who have experiences using translation software deal with this kind of problem.

Thanks,

June

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
French to English
One possible reason Dec 30, 2006

I have one regular monthly job which sounds similar.

The agency has expressly told me NOT to touch 100% matches, even if they are "wrong", or contain errors (one 100% match that comes up every month in this job is the word 'second' spelt 'seconf').

The reason is that the agency's customer (i.e. the end client) refuses to pay for 100% matches.

The agency knows that these matches contain errors, I know they contain errors, I daresay that the end-client knows, but that is the situation. I did, in fact, correct 'seconf' one month, but the next month it came back with 'seconf' still in the 100% matches, so it was a waste of time.

So it is entirely possible that your client is aware that the situation is not ideal. But if your client's client (!) is not going to pay your client for this work, then your client is not going to pay you for it. And even if you do it, free of charge, as a gesture of goodwill, or out of a desire to produce a professional translation, it could be wasted effort.

Of course, this may not be the case in your particular situation, but it could be. Personally, I would check with your client before doing too much work that I may not get paid for and/or which may not be used.

Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:03
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Yes it is! Dec 30, 2006

IMO, "looking through" or correcting 100% Matches IS PROOFREADING. I would not have agreed to proofread and correct full matches for free.

I suppose it's too late for you now, as you already accepted and did the job. Just remember in the future to agree on the rates BEFOREHAND. 100% matches should only be free if you can completely ignore them. And actually, even skipping full matches takes a small portion on your time, if there are lots of them... I know some people charge for full matches even if they don't need to check them.

shstephaniepark
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ignore or not to ignore 100% matches?! Dec 30, 2006

I sent a message to my client after I worked it first day saying he should pay for this extra-job. Obviously he didn't want to pay for that but said to let him know if there is something so wrong in 100% matches.

So I decided not to look through 100% translation. But these 100% matches exist together with non-translated texts. I can't ignore them totally and sometimes my eyes are more quick to find the errors than my brain.

I repeat to myself "I won't do that." Nevertheless, leaving an obvious error and ignoring it is a little bit hard for me. I don't wanna say "ethics" or "devoir professionnel" but...

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I have one regular monthly job which sounds similar.

The agency has expressly told me NOT to touch 100% matches, even if they are "wrong", or contain errors (one 100% match that comes up every month in this job is the word 'second' spelt 'seconf').

The reason is that the agency's customer (i.e. the end client) refuses to pay for 100% matches.

The agency knows that these matches contain errors, I know they contain errors, I daresay that the end-client knows, but that is the situation. I did, in fact, correct 'seconf' one month, but the next month it came back with 'seconf' still in the 100% matches, so it was a waste of time.

So it is entirely possible that your client is aware that the situation is not ideal. But if your client's client (!) is not going to pay your client for this work, then your client is not going to pay you for it. And even if you do it, free of charge, as a gesture of goodwill, or out of a desire to produce a professional translation, it could be wasted effort.

Of course, this may not be the case in your particular situation, but it could be. Personally, I would check with your client before doing too much work that I may not get paid for and/or which may not be used.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:03
Dutch to English
+ ...
"Yes, I found errors" and simply leave it at that. Dec 31, 2006

Sunghee Park wrote:

I sent a message to my client after I worked it first day saying he should pay for this extra-job. Obviously he didn't want to pay for that but said to let him know if there is something so wrong in 100% matches.

Your client has made it clear he is not willing to pay for proofreading and/or editing. Fine.

When you deliver, simply state yes, you have "read through" the 100% matches (i.e. completed your side of the bargain) and have noted certain errors, mistranslations etc.

You have not been asked to identify them, just to comment on whether you have seen any. So give him exactly what he has asked for.

If your client comes back and expects them to be specified and/or corrected, simply state at that stage that you will be willing to prepare a list of those issues/corrections but only at your usual proofreading and/or editing rate (depending on what is involved).

Of course, in future clarify your brief and negotiate fair payment for the actual work involved at the outset.

Just chalk this one up to experence as part of the learning curve we all go through.

Good luck
Deborah

[Edited at 2006-12-31 09:00]

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:03
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience Dec 31, 2006

I have a regular client who also does not pay for gold matches at translation stage. However, the proofreader does read all text, gold matches included, so I feel I can actually "ignore" the gold matches.
In other cases, with different clients, when it was clear that the mistakes were going to be left there untouched, I simply refused the job, fearing that I could not release a translation with mistakes even though such mistakes were gold matches. At a later stage, in case of problems, who is going to remember which ones were gold matches and which ones were new?

Laura

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To read 100 percent and Fuzzy match words isn't proofreading work?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums