Thread poster: Pavel Lyakhovsky

Pavel Lyakhovsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:37
Member (2006)
English to Russian
Jan 4, 2007

Dear colleagues,

The client sent me their annual report for translation and provided English and Russian annual reports from the previous year as a reference material. Naturally, I would like to align them in order to have a TM. The reports are 35 Mb Word files (around 650 pages each) with a lot of text and some graphics (but not much, the file sizes are mostly because of the text).

When I try to align them, WinAlign crashes every time. I tried to convert the files from Word to html but this didn't help.

Any ideas on how to align them?

Direct link Reply with quote

Mónica Guedes
Local time: 09:37
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
A Hint Jan 4, 2007

Try to divide each file in 4 or 5. For example each one with 100 pages (01-100, 101-200, 201-300,...) and in the end you can put all in a single file after making all the changes.
Hope it works.

Local time: 10:37
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Convert to rtf Jan 5, 2007

try to convert to rtf and divede the file in more smaller parts.

Workbench cannot handle word files. It will always be converted internally to rtf and if word files are very large there are possible internal time outs which will force crashes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem aligning a HUGE Word file

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs