SDLX 2006 Demo: Problems with TM (translation memory)
Thread poster: Mwananchi
Mwananchi
Mwananchi
Kenya
Local time: 12:51
Member (2006)
English to Swahili
+ ...
Jan 5, 2007

I managed to download a demo version of SDLX 2006 on a rather slow connection and I am having trouble accessing TM.

I imported a dummy file and extracted a translated version using the excellent demo flash tutorial provided. However even after creating a TM from the translated dummy/trial file, I am unable to use it on any other dummy/trial file. What can be wrong?

What happens after the one month trial period ends, will I be able to use the demo in any way?

... See more
I managed to download a demo version of SDLX 2006 on a rather slow connection and I am having trouble accessing TM.

I imported a dummy file and extracted a translated version using the excellent demo flash tutorial provided. However even after creating a TM from the translated dummy/trial file, I am unable to use it on any other dummy/trial file. What can be wrong?

What happens after the one month trial period ends, will I be able to use the demo in any way?

I have been using Wordfast, which is a light program with few hassles so far. Is SDLX significantly better than Wordfast?

[Edited at 2007-01-05 14:26]
Collapse

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:51
English to German
+ ...
Correct language pairs? Jan 5, 2007

Hi 'Mwananchi'

However even after creating a TM from the translated dummy/trial file, I am unable to use it on any other dummy/trial file. What can be wrong?

What exactly is the problem? Is an error message displayed or doesn't anything happen at all? - The only thing that I can think of without any further information is that you might be using different language pairs for the TM and the ITD file that you are trying to translate. The TM needs to use exactly the same languages (source and target) as the file that you want to translate.

During the one month trial period you have a fully functional version of SDLX. After this period it will switch to demo mode. In demo mode you cannot use all functions and only translate files that contain less than 1000 words, AFAIK.

Is SDLX significantly better than Wordfast?

I cannot say much about this because I'm not too familiar with Wordfast. - I would expect that this depends a lot on the file types you work with.

Regards,
Claudia

Mwananchi
Mwananchi
Kenya
Member (2006)
English to Swahili
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's probably the language pairs Jan 6, 2007

Thanks Claudia,

It tells me that no translation can be found in the two particular languages. You are probably right, I was rather casual in the manner I made the second dummy file. I will meticulously go through it as I did with the first and see what happens.

Mwananchi
Mwananchi
Kenya
Member (2006)
English to Swahili
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mystery Solved! Jan 6, 2007

It was because of moving from one target segment to another using the mouse instead of pressing the Enter key, so the segments were not being confirmed as translated.

[Edited at 2007-01-06 16:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX 2006 Demo: Problems with TM (translation memory)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »