https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/62844-sdl_winalign_750756_corrupts_characters_in_path_names.html

SDL WinAlign 7.5.0.756 corrupts characters in path names
Thread poster: Michael Weise
Michael Weise
Michael Weise
Local time: 05:23
German to Russian
+ ...
Jan 6, 2007

Does anyone have this problem too? Does anyone have a solution?
Reported the problem at the Trados support site, but they always give me a ticket number and never even reply, to say nothing about offering solutions to my problems

The problem is as follows:
When reopening a previously saved and closed WinAligh project which contains cyrillic characters in the names of paths to aligned files these character
... See more
Does anyone have this problem too? Does anyone have a solution?
Reported the problem at the Trados support site, but they always give me a ticket number and never even reply, to say nothing about offering solutions to my problems

The problem is as follows:
When reopening a previously saved and closed WinAligh project which contains cyrillic characters in the names of paths to aligned files these characters in some cases become garbaged, and WinAlign cannot reopen the respective aligned files / filepairs. Which means in my case that I cannot save / use saved WinAlign projects at all, 'cause there are tons of cyrillic directory names in my file system and I can never be sure if this problem is going to happen again.
No other program (to be honest, with one exception which is Ciphire - the Ciphire team admitted that it's a bug and are gonna fix it in the next release) ever had problems with cyrillic pathnames.
P.S. The bad thing is that the bug shows not every time you open a previously saved project - I just experimented and this time could not repeat the problem. But for me it is enough if it shows from time to time. I wish I could add screenshots to my posting: it's strange to see both garbaged and non-garbaged pathnames in one and the same WinAlign file pairs list.

[Edited at 2007-01-06 13:10]

[Edited at 2007-01-06 13:44]

[Edited at 2007-01-06 13:46]

[Edited at 2007-01-06 13:46]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 04:23
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
why do you need to keep the names? Jan 6, 2007

the file names, they come and go, the aligned information stays; just export it each time you have another file pair aligned.

If however you absolutely need to keep the names, and winalign makes an absolute mess out of them, oh well, rename them - in one big sweep - it should not be as big a problem, as the one you have on your hands right now.

Let us know, what you will have done.

smo

Michael Weise
Michael Weise
Local time: 05:23
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why I would prefer to keep the names Jan 7, 2007

Well, keeping names is not _absolutely_ necessary after all - of course for such bugs I can think of some workaround and modify my workflow respectively. It's just that I'm getting feedback (= revised translations) from some of my customers in large volumes and as many files once, say, a months or two, and I need to 1) align them, which sometimes takes days, and 2) run massive manual terminology search on them, but in a way that I can definitely see what file every term comes from. I used to do ... See more
Well, keeping names is not _absolutely_ necessary after all - of course for such bugs I can think of some workaround and modify my workflow respectively. It's just that I'm getting feedback (= revised translations) from some of my customers in large volumes and as many files once, say, a months or two, and I need to 1) align them, which sometimes takes days, and 2) run massive manual terminology search on them, but in a way that I can definitely see what file every term comes from. I used to do 1) and 2) sequentially in two big sweeps for all the files I received, which could take a couple of days. For the sake of doing this all those files were made part of a big WinAlign project, for that was very convenient as long as there was no risk involved in saving and closing this large project in-between. Now I will have to split my work into smaller projects which do not absolutely require saving and reopening, which a) is not so convenient by itself, for it does not let me use my usual “two large sweeps”-method and b) makes especially my manual terminology search _far_ less convenient as before, for navigating through files within one project or within many small projects really makes the difference.
Renaming everything in one big sweep using non-cyrillic characters is of course an option (thanks for the idea), but I would not only have to rename files themselves, but would have to virtually re-create my whole directory structure with pathnames, which is rather complicated, which could eventually cause problems to my other programs and which is generally speaking not the right way of dealing with bugs. I don't like the idea of making global changes to my file system every time some stupid program has a bug. So I would actually prefer to get a patched version from SDL rather than to make a mess out of my carefully set-up file system.
P.S. This time I lost a couple of days work, 'cause the long aligned files list became completely unusable before export/import into Workbench and before terminology search, and I had to do all the aligning again. I wish I could invoice SDL with that, but according to the license agreement they sell you smth. and are not even responsible for its being useable at all. I doubt that, say, Mercedes would have sold a single car if they would have explicitly refused to guarantee any driveability.

[Edited at 2007-01-07 09:54]

[Edited at 2007-01-07 10:13]

[Edited at 2007-01-07 12:32]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL WinAlign 7.5.0.756 corrupts characters in path names

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »