https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/62936-hard_return_in_excel_with_sdlx.html

Hard return in Excel with SDLX
Thread poster: Jean-S�bastien FEREY (X)
Jean-S�bastien FEREY (X)
Jean-S�bastien FEREY (X)
English to French
Jan 8, 2007

Hi all,

This is my first post on proz.

I currently have a project for a client (Excel) that is quite big in term of volume and I would like to use SDLX to transalte the Excel files.

My main concern is some cells have their text divided in several lines, each of them separated by a hard return carriage (Alt+Enter).

I tried to import the files with my SDLX segmentation rule set to paragraph, but it imports them lines by lines. Let's say a cell i
... See more
Hi all,

This is my first post on proz.

I currently have a project for a client (Excel) that is quite big in term of volume and I would like to use SDLX to transalte the Excel files.

My main concern is some cells have their text divided in several lines, each of them separated by a hard return carriage (Alt+Enter).

I tried to import the files with my SDLX segmentation rule set to paragraph, but it imports them lines by lines. Let's say a cell in the Excel files has 6 lines, all separated by a hard return carriage; the result I have with SDLX is 6 separated lines instead of a paragraph.

Does anybody know how I could create a segmentation rule that would alllow me to import each cell as a separated paragraph of text?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Seb
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you try to export the cells to Word first? Jan 8, 2007

I never try to translate straight from Excel, instead I copy the cells to Word. When copying the translation bach into Excel I found it useful to use Open Office instead of excel, because it is more compatible with Word-files and you won't get any additional cells where there are linebreaks in the text.
Cheers
Heinrich

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
English to Spanish
I think there is no problem Jan 9, 2007

Hello Jéan

I've just done a test with a mini-Excell file in which I inserted two lines in one cell (by doing Alt Enter) and there is no problem. You do see two separate lines in the bilingual itd, but when you do a preview of the translated text, you'll see that the format is the same: two lines in one cell.

Please, write to me directly if you want to ask me my settings.

Kind regards,

Marta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hard return in Excel with SDLX

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »