Mobile menu

Before buying Trados 2006, some questions...
Thread poster: japz20
japz20
Local time: 12:39
English
Jan 10, 2007

Hey. I'm pretty new with this. I downloaded the 2006 demo version yesterday and I encountered the same problems (Multiterm is not running, etc.) as some other guys did. Anyway to make the long story short I used
the demo to translate from Japanese to English, and the file I worked on was an Excel file.

Question though, before our company decides to buy the software:

1. First, I copied the Excel cells into Word and translated there because the Trados toolbar only shows up in Word, which will prove to be very tedious as we have tens upon thousands of pages to translate in Excel. I was using Trados Workbench 7.5.0.756 Build 756. Is there any way around this? Or does the Trados toolbar really only appear in Word?

2. Then I tried using the T-Window for Clipboard tool, which (as I understood it) acted as an intermediary between the Trados Workbench and MS Excel. Again very tedious, since T-Window does not allow
copying and pasting during translation. Any way around this?

3. The demo version does not include Multiterm. What exactly are the benefits of purchasing Trados for access to Multiterm? From what I understand, it is a repository for terms with corresponding translations. In
the demo version I created a TM, isn't that the same thing? I was hoping Multiterm is a dictionary of some sort, which maybe could lead to...

4. Automatic translation in Trados? Is there? Or do you really have to create the Multiterm termbase from scratch?

Btw I'm really not at all proficient in Japanese, I use external software (IBM King) to do translation and I copy and paste the translation into Trados (which I couldn't do using T-Window.) Anyway sorry for all the questions. I really want to understand what I'm doing here before I suggest we buy Trados to my boss. Thank you so much for your help!

Jamie

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:39
Italian to English
Hi Jamie Jan 10, 2007

If you have Excel documents to translate, you will want to look at Chapter 11 in the Trados FileFormatsRef_en.pdf

http://www.trados.com/support.asp?page=1038

to see the workflow using TagEditor (look for "Documentation" in the "Category" menu).

You also have to distinguish between translation memories (TMs), which are databases containing your past translations, and terminology management, which is handled by MultiTerm. In both cases, you have to build up (or import) the databases yourself but both will gradually enable you to mine your past work and exploit matching segments.

This is not automatic translation but it can enhance your speed and particularly consistency.

There was another thread started recently by another Trados newbie which might help you to understand how Trados works.

http://www.proz.com/topic/62788

HTH

Giles

[Edited at 2007-01-10 10:20]

[Edited at 2007-01-10 10:20]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 05:39
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Here's my 2c... Jan 10, 2007

j2. Then I tried using the T-Window for Clipboard tool, which (as I understood it) acted as an intermediary between the Trados Workbench and MS Excel. Again very tedious, since T-Window does not allow
copying and pasting during translation. Any way around this?

I'd use Tageditor and forget T-window

3. The demo version does not include Multiterm. What exactly are the benefits of purchasing Trados for access to Multiterm? F

There's no purchasing Trados without Multiterm afaik. So, what's the good of MultiTerm? It complements trados, that caters to segments, i.e. roughly to sentences by providing word-for-word replacements. You can think of MultiTerrm as the tool to build your own vocabularies - i.e. word for word, as opposed to trados doing sentence-for-sentence.

4. Automatic translation in Trados? Is there? Or do you really have to create the Multiterm termbase from scratch?

Not only there's no free lunch - it worse than that: there's nothing like a free lunch AND a free dinner. Automatic translation in trados presupposes a translation memory - or memories - (that you need to have in the first pace, or create it with time). And the same applies to MultiTerm side of the story. So it means working from scratch both for TM and MultiTerm material.

My experience is that 90% of the jobs / help was via previous translations I have done (in the form of translation memories I have built) and 10% is possibly Multiterm...

Please note that having gazillions of MultiTerm expressions in nominative is no big help if you translate to a language that uses declension- Example: amor - love, but, h*ll.,you need some more typing to get amoris, amori, amorem ... so eventually you say d*n it, and write amor as well, without using Multiterm.

Now. how that looks like, when it comes to Japanese language, I have no idea...

[Edited at 2007-01-10 23:23]

japz20
Local time: 12:39
English
TOPIC STARTER
Salamat! Jan 12, 2007

Thank you both SO much, your comments helped very much Currently I'm evaluating Tag Editor while my partner is on Wordfast. Will definitely post again if we buy Trados or Wordfast.

Again, thank you so much!

Jamie

Marius Reika  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 06:39
Partial member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Term recognition Jan 12, 2007

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:
Please note that having gazillions of MultiTerm expressions in nominative is no big help if you translate to a language that uses declension- Example: amor - love, but, h*ll.,you need some more typing to get amoris, amori, amorem ... so eventually you say d*n it, and write amor as well, without using Multiterm.

In the Lithuanian lang. there is the same problem, however, in such a case I usually input only that part of the word which is constant and unchanging, and leave the changing end for manual input. That word ending is usually one or two letters long and it really takes no time to write it manually after having inserted the major part of the word.

Well, I don't use Multiterm, cause it really s**ks comparing with DVX term handling, which I find really convenient. But the principle with the declension I think should be the same for both tools.

Marius

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Before buying Trados 2006, some questions...

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs