Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

How to use 2 SDL Trados versions in a network?
Thread poster: Emmanuelle Hingant

Emmanuelle Hingant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
English to French
Jan 12, 2007

Hi!

I am in desperate need of help.

I have just acquired the new version of SDL Trados (2006), that was my little Xmas present. So far so good.

I installed it this morning and had a horrible surprise: I cannot use my version of Trados 7.5 Freelance because my boyfriend uses his own version of Trados 7.5 Freelance.

Let me explain. We both are freelancers, we share a network - the Internet, a printer, a share folder - but we are not business partners, meaning that we are not a company together, just two separate legal entities. We need to share a network mainly for the Internet (we have a wireless connection).

Now, I've been told by the SDL Trados Support team that we cannot use two versions of the same software on a shared network at the same time. Okay, I can use Trados when his version is off but you can guess that this is not convenient at all ("Honey, can you stop translating please, I have to clean files?" or "Darling, I'm going to pee, you can use Trados!"). The SDL Trados Support team tells me I should upgrade to the Professional edition, as if I were a company!

I already spend 700EUR on SDL Trados 2006 and now, they want me to spend 500EUR more to upgrade. I couldn't believe it and am amazed by the stupidity of the situation.

We ARE NOT a company, we are two different businesses and we own two separate versions of the software. I have two questions:
1) If you've been in the same situation, is there a way we can keep our network and be able to use our two genuine versions AT THE SAME TIME?
2) If not, do you know if there is a way I can get my money back because in any case I will not be able to use my version.

Thank you so much for your answers. Have a great day.

Emma

Direct link Reply with quote

tvtruc
Vietnam
Local time: 20:03
English to Vietnamese
Don't use same workgroup on two computer Jan 13, 2007

I suppose you both use Windows.

I had the same problem before when I tried to set up my PC and my Notebook to have the same workgroup to share files. After that I rename workgroup of one of them and the problem is gone. Now both My PC & Notebook can access Internet through my AP and run Trados for Freelancer 7.5 at the same time.

I hope this will help you.

Good luck,

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:03
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use a firewall Jan 13, 2007

Emmanuelle Hingant wrote:

1) If you've been in the same situation, is there a way we can keep our network and be able to use our two genuine versions AT THE SAME TIME?

Thank you so much for your answers. Have a great day.

Emma

Use personal firewall software (NOT Windows Firewall) that supports blocking specific programs, that is any personal firewall except Windows Firewall. Block Trados so that it cannot access the local network on nonstandard ports (this should not block file access and/or internet access).

As there are many good firewalls (ZoneAlarm, Comodo, Norton, Kerio) you have to choose which one suits you best for yourself, try sites like zdnet to have them rated/evaluated.

Regards,

Margreet

[Edited at 2007-01-13 07:44]

Emmanuelle Hingant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 15, 2007

Thank you so much to both of you Margreet and Truc Tran.
We first tried to set the firewall (we have ZoneAlarm) so that Trados would be blocked. It seemed that it was working but I ended having the same error message.
So we finally change the name of the workgroup on the network, and right now, we're both using Trados at the same time. So thank you very much for all you advice, it's really precious help.

However, I would like to highlight that this feature of SDL Trados 2006 is completely unacceptable. We bought 2 genuine versions of the software for 700 EUR each and we wouldn't be able to use them at the same time? That's nonsense. I understand they don't want you to use the same version on 2 computers at the same time, but 2 different versions, it really shows their business-oriented mind.

Thanks again to you two!

Emma

Luisa Fiorini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
How to change the name of the workgroup on the network Jan 11, 2010

Hi Emma,

how did you manage to change the name of the workgroup on the network. I am in the same situation with trados 2007 suite freelance.

Thanks

Luisa

Mr Florida
Local time: 09:03
German to English
+ ...
XP Workgroup Jan 12, 2010

Windows XP: Right-click My Computer - Properties - Computer Name tab - Change button - Enter Computer name and Workgroup - OK - OK - Restart the PC

Luisa Fiorini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
From where? Jan 13, 2010

Mr Florida wrote:

Windows XP: Right-click My Computer - Properties - Computer Name tab - Change button - Enter Computer name and Workgroup - OK - OK - Restart the PC

Thanks Mr Florida, but where is My Computer? I checked in the control panel but did not find it.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
On your desktop Jan 13, 2010

The "My Computer" icon should be on your desktop or in the Start menu. Please read the Windows help for more information.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
windows explorer shortcut Jan 13, 2010

If "my pc" isn't on your desktop, use the shortcut
windows key+E
That will take you to Windows Explorer. It might take you straight to my pc, or if not just browse up until you see my pc and then right click on it to go to properties

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use 2 SDL Trados versions in a network?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums