Mobile menu

Problem with word order with Arabic
Thread poster: Pawel Smorczewski
Pawel Smorczewski
Local time: 08:20
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 14, 2007

I'm using Trados 6.5 and I experience a peculiar problem when translating an Arabic text into Polish. Haven't tried into other languages by the way.
As I open a segment the first Arabic word becomes the last in the open segment highlighted in MS Word. However, when I look at the source text box in Translator's Workbench the word order is perfectly fine.
When I work with other language pairs this problem does not occur.
The thing is annoying and I don't really know how it affects TM because I'm a beginner in this pair with Trados.
Does anybody have any suggestions of what the solution to this problem might be?

[Edited at 2007-01-14 15:08]

[Edited at 2007-01-14 15:10]

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:20
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I don't know Arabic Jan 14, 2007

but can't the problem be related to the fact, that in Arabic you write from right to left? So maybe it actually shows correctly in the target segment?

Uldis, just guessing

Pawel Smorczewski
English to Polish
+ ...
Direction not the issue Jan 14, 2007

Arabic does in fact have this right-to-left direction of writing but that is not the nature of my problem. While the first word of the Arabic sentence jumps to the final position of the sentence, the rest of the same sentence remains unchanged.
It's like with the title of my post:
Sentence: "Direction not the issue" becomes: "not the issue Direction"

[Edited at 2007-01-15 15:58]

Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
Align the text to right Jan 18, 2007

Hello Ismipawel,

In think you need first to select the whole text (Ctrl + A) and choose the right alignment for it: Select Format > Paragraph and Direction: Right-to-left in your word file.

Don't worry about the TM.. the text remains correct in it. You can make sure by selecting File > Maintenance > Begin from the TM.

I hope this works

Kind regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with word order with Arabic

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs