Thread poster: Pawel Smorczewski
Pawel Smorczewski
Poland
Local time: 23:48
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 14, 2007

Hi,
I'm using Trados 6.5 and I experience a peculiar problem when translating an Arabic text into Polish. Haven't tried into other languages by the way.
As I open a segment the first Arabic word becomes the last in the open segment highlighted in MS Word. However, when I look at the source text box in Translator's Workbench the word order is perfectly fine.
When I work with other language pairs this problem does not occur.
The thing is annoying and I don't really know how it affects TM because I'm a beginner in this pair with Trados.
Does anybody have any suggestions of what the solution to this problem might be?

[Edited at 2007-01-14 15:08]

[Edited at 2007-01-14 15:10]

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:48
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I don't know Arabic Jan 14, 2007

but can't the problem be related to the fact, that in Arabic you write from right to left? So maybe it actually shows correctly in the target segment?

Uldis, just guessing

Pawel Smorczewski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Direction not the issue Jan 14, 2007

Arabic does in fact have this right-to-left direction of writing but that is not the nature of my problem. While the first word of the Arabic sentence jumps to the final position of the sentence, the rest of the same sentence remains unchanged.
It's like with the title of my post:
Sentence: "Direction not the issue" becomes: "not the issue Direction"

[Edited at 2007-01-15 15:58]

Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
Align the text to right Jan 18, 2007

Hello Ismipawel,

In think you need first to select the whole text (Ctrl + A) and choose the right alignment for it: Select Format > Paragraph and Direction: Right-to-left in your word file.

Don't worry about the TM.. the text remains correct in it. You can make sure by selecting File > Maintenance > Begin from the TM.

I hope this works

Kind regards,

Ahmad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with word order with Arabic

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs