Mobile menu

Tag Editor languages problem
Thread poster: bartek

bartek  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:39
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2007

I’ve received an English>Polish translation job consisting of several very extensive Word files which are full of figures, images and so forth. Translating it in Word takes a very great deal of time because the segment shuts after around 30 seconds. I’d like to do the translation in Tag Editor, but I can’t. The files are saved in the Italian>Polish version and my TRADOS only works in English and Polish, so Tag Editor loses the connection with Workbench.

What I’m wondering is whether I can change a Word .rtf file from Italian>Polish into English>Polish. And if so, how I go about doing it.

Unfortunately, phoning the agency just isn’t an option. It’s late and it’s the weekend

Can anyone help me? Please? All advice will be most gratefully received
Teresa

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Jan 19, 2007

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:39
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
UK English vs US English Jan 19, 2007

I haven't seen such as you describe, however, I have experienced like when TM English version is not right. So I suggest to you to look what EN-PL version your TM is (EN UK or EN US) and create and try another one.

HTH,

Uldis

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Uldis, Jan 19, 2007

My problem is the Word .rtf file. When I open it in Tag Editor I can see it is an IT>PL version (but the text is in English!).
My TM version is US EN>PL, as my client required. The TM has been being created by me only for this specific project for several years.
PS. My client is an Italian agency
Thank you Uldis

Teresa

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:39
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
If you opan your RTF in Notepad Jan 19, 2007

somewhere in the first paragraph there should be language settings defined, you can try to change them there. However, that's tricky, so make sure to save a backup copy of the file before attempting it.

Uldis

xxxOlaf
English to German
You could change the language codes in Tag Editor Jan 19, 2007

You could open the RTF file in TE and save it as a TTX file. If it shows the wrong language codes in TE, you can open the .ttx file in Notepad and search and replace all occurrences of Lang="IT-IT" with Lang="EN-US". This should do the trick.

Olaf

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gentlemen Jan 19, 2007

I have applied both tips. To no avail ... , which means TE shows IT>PL , the file is in English and will have an awfuul day tomorrow.
Thank you for your kindness
Have a nice weekend
Teresa

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just open the ttx file in the Notepad Jan 20, 2007

and just at the very beginning of the file you will see:
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<TRADOStag Version="2.0"><FrontMatter><ToolSettings CreationDate="20070119T203724Z" CreationTool="SDL TRADOS TagEditor" CreationToolVersion="7.5.0.757"/><UserSettings DataType="..." O-Encoding="windows-1252" SettingsName="" SettingsPath="" SourceLanguage="IT" TargetLanguage="PL" TargetDefaultFont="Arial"

Just replace the "IT" with the corresponding code for your English language. EN-US means US English set in your TM, EN-GB means English UK.

Than save the file and you're done.

Best regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor languages problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs