Mobile menu

Difficulty converting xls with MultiTerm Convert
Thread poster: david angel
david angel
Local time: 04:42
French to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2007

I have been trying to convert a glossary in Excel with MultiTerm Convert. After consulting material in these forums, I changed the xls file so that there were no blank lines, language column headings were in line 1, etc. I then opened Convert, specified the files, clicked "Next" and got a message saying "Unhandled exception....Specified argument out of range..Parameter name "0" is not a valid value for "value". When I try to ignore the message and procede to the Specify Column Header page, nothing appears under "Available Column Header Fields", but, as I understand it, Convert should have read these into the Wizard from the xls file. Or maybe I haven't understood.
Any help greatly appreciated!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 05:42
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
the first line is "speshal" Jan 24, 2007

you need to have single-word language descriptors there for the columns, for instance EN and DE. In the next step you will be then asked what En and DE stand for. If you do not get that far - which seems to be the case - then the problem IS the contents of the first line.

I tried CAT and DOG for the columns 1 and 2 of the line 1 and it works just as well - so no need to worry about EN_EN vs EN vs EN_US etc. Probably you have either multiple words per column there or an empty cell, something strange enough anyhow to the program to cause problems.

Let us know how it turned out

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2007-01-24 20:11]

david angel
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try the suggestions. Jan 24, 2007

Hi Vitomir. I did make sure that the first line contained the language names - in this case three and in the following form: French, Spanish, English. Does having 3 names confuse the issue? Or maybe I need to use abbreviations, as you suggested. Capitals? Is that important, I wonder. Well, thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out tomorrow and see how things go.

david angel
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still no luck Jan 25, 2007

I have tried amending the column headings like this:

FR SP ENG
Acquisition Adquisición Acquisition

But still no luck. I still get the same problem.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Try a simple version Jan 25, 2007

I too have struggled with Excel. I suggest trying a simplified two language version.
Row 1 Frrench English
Row 2 Acquisition Acquisition
Row 3 ...etc

Later select the values in row 1 as your index fields. This has always worked for me.

[Edited at 2007-01-25 10:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difficulty converting xls with MultiTerm Convert

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs