Thread poster: Harry Hermawan

Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:33
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
Jan 26, 2007

Hi, everyone,

Recently I just acquired (bought) CAT Tools i.e. SDLX Trados with TGB, hope it is worth the investment, and trying to get to use and to familirise it.

I've used Wordfast before (demo one), and it seems that the latter, Wordfast, is user-friendlier but of course SDLX Trados is industry standard (IMHO).

Anyway, I started using SLDX Trados with my own projects to build up the database. It's been going on for a couple of months now.

Although, I feel that the best ways to 'master' this CAT Tools is through proper training. But, for starter there's no training for SDLX Trados near me, so I just have to push myself into getting the training on my own and with YOUR help.

I've browsed the knowledge pages on ProZ.com, but I feel I'm not progressing faster enough.

Any tips/help? Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
first steps... Jan 26, 2007

the 'first steps with sdl...' in the gsg*.pdf provides excellent instructions on using trados.

xxxinatrans
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
Trados beginner too Jan 26, 2007

I do agree on the place to start is the getting started guide.

[Edited at 2007-01-26 02:07]

Indonesia
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
Good place to start Jan 26, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

the 'first steps with sdl...' in the gsg*.pdf provides excellent instructions on using trados.

Yes...I'm getting somewhere. Thanks. I mean with all the information provided, things do get muddled up. So, you are sometimes lost with so much information.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:33
English to Spanish
SDLX and Trados Jan 26, 2007

Hi

You seem to have mixed both packages. These two (SDL Trados and SDLX) are two computer assisted translation tools, two different ones that happen to be sold together when you buy SDL Trados.

In my opinion the main thing is to learn what you can do with them. They both offer very similar functions but you get to them following different paths and names. The most intuitive and user friendly of the two is SDLX, that is, the easier to learn. If I were you, I would have first a go with that program, for about a month (a bit every day) and then go on to learn about SDL Trados. Additionally, the PDFs with instructions you'll find in the SDLX bit (Start>All Programs>SDL International>SDL...>SDLX>Documentation) are very clear and helpful: have a look at these two PDFs to start:
- How to translate with SDLX
- SDLX Edit module

Good luck and courage!, you'll soon see the very many advantages of using them!

Marta

[Edited at 2007-01-26 11:54]

Indonesia
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
...thanks for making clear that crucial beginning Jan 26, 2007

Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:

You seem to have mixed both packages. These two (SDL Trados and SDLX) are two computer assisted translation tools, two different ones that happen to be sold together when you buy SDL Trados.

Silly me...thanks for making clear that crucial beginning. Now that you mentioned this, I see that SDLX is far more user friendlier, than SDL Trados.

Maybe because of the hype about Trados that I started to begin my learning wih Trados (Translator's Workbench and WinAlign) first. But since you pointed out that these (SDLX n Trados) were two different tools altogether, I can have a clear target to go by next time.

Thanks a lot.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:33
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
ATA Article about TRADOS Jan 26, 2007

There is an excellent article in the January 2007 number of the ATA Chronicle, the magazine published by the American Translators Association that, since you are in Indonesia, maybe if you write to them they would tell you how to get a copy. www.atanet.org

The title of the article is "Picking berries with TRADOS", by Thomas Kostiainen. I am sure you can find him in the Web also and maybe contact him directly.

This is an excerpt from the article:
"Using TRADOS is like picking berries in a Finnish forest. If you know the forest and where to find the best berry patches, you will do fine and get a lot of berries in no time without getting lost. However, if you do not know your way around or even what to look for, you will end up without berries, frustrated, lost, or perhaps even worse, harassed by a bear. "

I also advise you to follow the Demos and read the guides, understand the whole concept of translation memories, and take one small step at a time. In general, when working with agencies, you would not be required to do anything else other than opening Workbench, importing the memory provided, and start translating. But even for that you need a good understanding of the process. And if your intention is to prepare your own TMs then you really need to know your way around.

Indonesia
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
Great info Jan 26, 2007

Luisa Ramos wrote:

...."Picking berries with TRADOS", by Thomas Kostiainen....

This is an excerpt from the article:
"Using TRADOS is like picking berries in a Finnish forest. If you know the forest and where to find the best berry patches, you will do fine and get a lot of berries in no time without getting lost. However, if you do not know your way around or even what to look for, you will end up without berries, frustrated, lost, or perhaps even worse, harassed by a bear. "

I also advise you to follow the Demos and read the guides, understand the whole concept of translation memories, and take one small step at a time. In general, when working with agencies, you would not be required to do anything else other than opening Workbench, importing the memory provided, and start translating. But even for that you need a good understanding of the process. And if your intention is to prepare your own TMs then you really need to know your way around.

Indeed, I was lost the first time round. Now, I'm getting around and picking berries instead of being harassed by a bear...soon and with a bit of luck fruitfully

Much appreciated on the essence of translation memories, Demos and also the agencies bit. Your concerns over my own TMs will be noted and followed up. Wish me luck.

Regards from Jakarta Indonesia

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:33
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Keep going Jan 26, 2007

Here is another excerpt from the same article:

"Rather than risk this plight, many choose to stay close to the forest´s edge, making do with berries they find there... I have noticed that many translators tend to stay within the periphery of the first useful functions they encounter, unsure of how to venture into what they perceive as a forest of options to get to the more advanced features TRADOS has to offer (the very best berry patches)."

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:33
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Picking berries with TRADOS Jan 27, 2007

Thank you for the tip, Luisa!

The article can be downloaded from the author's web (his name is Tuomas, actually):
http://www.finntranslations.com/tradoshelp.html

However, the article is a bit too advanced for beginners.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips/help on familiarising with SDLX Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs