Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:26
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 26, 2007

I have just WinAligned a pair of files and imported them into a newly created TM. However, when I clicked on "Maintenance", in order to look at the TUs, there weren't any!

The statistical information also gives "0" as the number of TUs, although there are supposed to be 115.

After import, it said underneath, "115 TUs imported in X number of seconds", and then, at the end, "115 TUs invalid".

What does this mean, and what can I do about it? I want a TM from t
... See more
I have just WinAligned a pair of files and imported them into a newly created TM. However, when I clicked on "Maintenance", in order to look at the TUs, there weren't any!

The statistical information also gives "0" as the number of TUs, although there are supposed to be 115.

After import, it said underneath, "115 TUs imported in X number of seconds", and then, at the end, "115 TUs invalid".

What does this mean, and what can I do about it? I want a TM from this WinAlign project!

Astrid
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Did you check the languge codes? Jan 26, 2007

There are many reasons why Trados didn't like the TUs. If the TM file looks OK, maybe the language codes in the TM or Winaligned TM don't match.

Olaf

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where do you look to check the language codes? Jan 26, 2007

Hi Olaf,

What is meant by the "language codes", and where do I look in order to check them?

Astrid

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:26
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
For example check Jan 26, 2007

If there is not EN UK in one and EN US in another- Trados treats those two versions of EN as a different languages- if your TM is EN US and document header (seen when opening it in Notepad) EN UK, e.g, TagEditor surely refuses to work with it...

Uldis

Olaf wrote:

There are many reasons why Trados didn't like the TUs. If the TM file looks OK, maybe the language codes in the TM or Winaligned TM don't match.

Olaf

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Open a TM in a tex editor and search for TrU Jan 27, 2007

When you align files, WinAlign usually creates TM text file that contains entries like the following (I replaced the angle brackets with with [] because the BB will not display them):

[TrU]
[CrD]19012007, 13:37:26
[CrU]USER
[Seg L=EN-US]This is a sentence.
[Seg L=DE-DE]Das ist ein Satz.
[/TrU]

Anyway, the language code is the text after "Seg L=". It should match the language codes in the TM that you created in Trados. As Uldis already point
... See more
When you align files, WinAlign usually creates TM text file that contains entries like the following (I replaced the angle brackets with with [] because the BB will not display them):

[TrU]
[CrD]19012007, 13:37:26
[CrU]USER
[Seg L=EN-US]This is a sentence.
[Seg L=DE-DE]Das ist ein Satz.
[/TrU]

Anyway, the language code is the text after "Seg L=". It should match the language codes in the TM that you created in Trados. As Uldis already pointed out, a common mistake is that the TM might be set up for BrE (EN-UK) but the TM import text file might contain the AmE code (EN-US) or vice versa.

Olaf
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 27, 2007

Thank you, Olaf and Uldis. I did have the wrong languages. I normally work with the language pair DE-EN. However, I WinAligned two documents, which were French (Luxemburg) and German (Germany) respectively. I did not notice that WinAlign used by default the flag DE for the French document and EN (UK) for the German document. The result of this is what I imported into a new TM marked "FR (Luxemburg)" and "DE (Germany)".

When I tried to leave the WinAligned project as it was, except f
... See more
Thank you, Olaf and Uldis. I did have the wrong languages. I normally work with the language pair DE-EN. However, I WinAligned two documents, which were French (Luxemburg) and German (Germany) respectively. I did not notice that WinAlign used by default the flag DE for the French document and EN (UK) for the German document. The result of this is what I imported into a new TM marked "FR (Luxemburg)" and "DE (Germany)".

When I tried to leave the WinAligned project as it was, except for changing the languages, the program told me that I had to start the alignment all over again. Anyhow, I did, and when I imported the new version into my TM it worked, and I now have the TM I wanted.

Thanks again.

Astrid
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
WinAlign can be tricky Jan 27, 2007

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
When I tried to leave the WinAligned project as it was, except for changing the languages, the program told me that I had to start the alignment all over again. Anyhow, I did, and when I imported the new version into my TM it worked, and I now have the TM I wanted.
Astrid

WinAlign is quite picky, if any of the files or the file paths are changed, you usually lose all stored alignments. That's why I usually export each file pair after I aligned it as a backup.
However, in your case you didn't have to redo the alignment. Since the files that WinAlign creates are plain text files, you could have opened the TM text file in Notepad or a better editor and globally replaced all wrong language codes with the correct ones.

Olaf

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Jan 27, 2007

Thanks for the tip, Olaf. I will know next time!

Have a nice weekend!

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All TUs imported are invalid

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »