Thread poster: Ramon Inglada

Ramon Inglada  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:08
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 27, 2007

Hi everyone,

I've decided to post this question because it's something that has been intriguing me for some time now. Maybe it's something very simple to solve, but I really don't know how to get around it, and I have also searched the forums with no results.

My question is: is there any way of reverting a Trados bilingual file back into the original monolingual file you started to work with?

I know that usually this wouldn't be required, as we can always go back and use the backup copy of the file originally sent by the client. However, my problem is that more often than not, I get bilingual files to proofread and no original file, as the client considers it's not necessary. Now, I've insisted several times on the need to have the original file in all cases, but still with many projects I don't get it, I just get the bilingual file and the TM.

If I have a problem with the bilingual file and I need to use the original source text file, I can always ask the PM to provide it, but this is time-consuming and sometimes this might not be possible (rush jobs over the weekend springs to my mind...).

I would be grateful of any suggestion for any method of doing this, either nice and efficient or cheap and dirty. I suspect it might be done with some macro or with a clever search and replace operation in Word, but so far I haven't found a way.

Just in case it helps, I work both with .doc and .rtf files, I have Trados 7.5.0.756 with Office 2003 on Windows XP Home SP2.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated to strip all the Trados codes and the translated text and go back to the untouched original text.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Ramon

Direct link Reply with quote

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 05:08
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
I think so... Jan 27, 2007

Hi, Ramon.

This is something which I had just been thinking about this afternoon too, so your posting prompted me to do some experimenting.

I saved the bilingual file from Trados as .rtf, then opened it in TagEditor.

Then I used the option to "save target as..." and voila, I had my original file available! Well, almost. It loses the table formating that I happened to have in that file, but for text only, it's a winner!

I wonder how many other hidden advantage there are for us in the Trados/Word combination?

I am going to enrol for the Trados beginners course in Budapest. I think I need to be enlightened a bit more!

Cheers,

Bill

Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
TagEditor Jan 27, 2007

Like Bill I would suggest to open the bilingual file in TagEditor. There you have to option to preview the target and the source. Normally you can printout the previews.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 06:08
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
find and replace Jan 27, 2007

Hi Ramon,

as for Word files it is easy with the find and replace command.

If you use the suggested text colours (see options -> translated text colours.. -> suggestion) you can delete all translations and revert back to the original file.

Select all text in word, then open the replace function. Here, find all characters with green colour (use format botton below, -> font -> font colour) and replace all with blank (type nothing in the replace with box.)

Then once more select all, and change all hidden characters with "not hidden" ones.

Following that replace all violet characters with blank ones.

Finally you can replace all blue characters with automatic colour.

The problem here is if some parts of the original text was in some other colour, all will be changed into black (automatic colour)

HTH

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The simplest way is... Jan 28, 2007

Any suggestion will be much appreciated to strip all the Trados codes and the translated text and go back to the untouched original text.

... to climb on the shoulders of giants (i.e. Arkadij Visotski) and use his PlusToyz.

http://syntax.webline.pl/plustoyz.html

This code saved my hide again and again.

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2007-01-28 03:34]

Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
PlusToyz - Great link! Jan 28, 2007

Thanks a lot Vitomir!

Ramon Inglada  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot everyone! Jan 28, 2007

Hi there,

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. It's really appreciated!

I had already been doing some experiments on my side with TagEditor, but the documents I usually work with have quite a lot of formatting, and that was lost with TagEditor (as William mentioned).

On the other hand, I hadn't thought about doing a search & replace operation based on colours (great tip Selcuk). However, most of the files I get are just in one colour (i.e.: the suggested Trados text colours have not been used by the translator. Just black for both source and target). So that wouldn't work either.

Vitomir just got it, that's exactly what I needed. I just did a couple of tests with files from some older jobs and it worked like a charm. I only tried the macro to restore source, but all the other ones look equally interesting. Thanks a lot, very interesting link indeed!

Have a good Sunday!

Cheers,

Ramon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reverting bilingual Trados file back to original monolingual file

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs