Trados changes to right-to-left writing
Thread poster: Attila Piróth

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:17
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jan 28, 2007

I have a 2 MB word file (English -> Hungarian) that makes Trados feel quite unformfortable. From time to time a message appears claiming "insufficient memory", and then I have to quit Word. Also, even more annoying is that sometimes when Trados reaches a segment it mixes up the character order: "E2_Cab_activated" becomes "detactiva_bac_E2", while "Spare M2" becomes "2Spare M" - that is, apart from one letter, Trados changes from left-to-right to right-to-left writing. This change applies to the source text field, as well as the target field, obtained via copying the source text into it by Alt+Ins. When I clean up the file, it stays there - however, just above, as I tried to copy it into this window, the order of the characters was correct: "Spare M2" and "E2_Cab_activated".
The document is not excessively large, 2 MB but it has some cross references (treated by "Bookmark Handler" by the client), and if I use the Print view, a fairly long repagination process starts whenever I scroll to a new page.

The problems persist when I open a new and empty translation memory. The switch to right-to-left writing occurs at the same segments, and when I try to close these segments and move to the next one with "Translate to Fuzzy", the message "Insufficient memory" appears.

The problem occurs always at the same segments, for other segments (which are in overwhelming majority) Trados works all right.

My computer has 512 MB of RAM. Win XP Home edition and SDL Trados 7.5.0.756 is running on it. Scanning indicated no spyware and no virus.

Anyone who has experienced such strange behavior - and managed to tame Trados?
Attila

[Módosítva: 2007-01-29 00:53]

[Módosítva: 2007-01-29 01:21]

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:17
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Style changes?? Jan 29, 2007

Check the Style of the paragraph in trouble. Click on the Style field in the Word toolbar to see the entire name of it. See if it has something indicating a left-to-right language.
If this is the case, you have the infamous styles-go-wild problem, that was discussed in other threads already.

Here is one in Hungarian, with a possible solution:
http://www.proz.com/topic/60336

[Módosítva: 2007-01-29 06:06]

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 01:17
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Source material problem? Jan 29, 2007

I constantly had to fight RTL problems - since it is a RTL language I translate to...

Seriously, though, perhaps the problem is in the source file or TM, which may have passed through a RTL translator at some stage.
I had many problems with large corporations's source text/TM which started to give me matches in Chinese.

Try looking into Microsoft Script Editor (Tools/Macro/MSE), to see whether that might be the problem. Search in that window for "Hebrew (heb), or "arabic" (Ara). If you find text with that encoding, you'll have to replace it with a Latin encoding.

Good luck, Doron

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:17
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Katalin Jan 29, 2007

Here is one in Hungarian, with a possible solution:
http://www.proz.com/topic/60336

Great, many thanks! I removed the cuprit from the list of supported languages, and I could thus solve the right-to-left problem. Nonetheless Word keeps on complaining about "insufficient memory".

Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados changes to right-to-left writing

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs