https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/64622-best_source_format_to_work_with_trados.html

Best source format to work with Trados
Thread poster: Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:25
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 29, 2007

Dear colleagues,

A client is preparing a document for me for translation. He just sent me below lines, asking whether I would be able to work with this. I was hoping to use Trados 6.5 for this client, since the project will be ongoing and I would like to keep consistency by using a TM tool.

Will it be possible to configure my DTD settings or something, so that Trados opens only the translatables?

What he sent me looks like this:

$LAN_BUTTON_TI
... See more
Dear colleagues,

A client is preparing a document for me for translation. He just sent me below lines, asking whether I would be able to work with this. I was hoping to use Trados 6.5 for this client, since the project will be ongoing and I would like to keep consistency by using a TM tool.

Will it be possible to configure my DTD settings or something, so that Trados opens only the translatables?

What he sent me looks like this:

$LAN_BUTTON_TITLE_HOMEPAGE = array( "de" => "Zur Startseite", "en" => "To the homepage");
$LAN_BUTTON_TITLE_SEARCHMASK = array( "de" => "Suchmaske für Seminare", "en" => "Suchmaske für Seminare");
$LAN_BUTTON_TITLE_WORKFLOWS = array( "de" => "Zeigt alle Anfragen an", "en" => "");
$LAN_BUTTON_TITLE_OPENWORKFLOWS = array( "de" => "Zeigt alle offenen Workflows an", "en" => "");

I can suggest the client a different format, but I am not sure which would be best. What do you think?

Thank you for your help!

Stefanie
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Best source format Jan 29, 2007

The best for you would be a simple list of the source strings in a text file. Or an Excel table with several columns (Array name, Source, Target). You would translate only the source strings (in a separate, temporary Excel file), copy into the Target column and the client could easily combine the columns into the required format.

You could also use the format from above, but you would have to translate in Word and app
... See more
The best for you would be a simple list of the source strings in a text file. Or an Excel table with several columns (Array name, Source, Target). You would translate only the source strings (in a separate, temporary Excel file), copy into the Target column and the client could easily combine the columns into the required format.

You could also use the format from above, but you would have to translate in Word and apply a non-translatable style (easy to do with one search and replace operation). One line of the source document would look like this (blue is the non-translatable style; I suppose you translate from DE to EN; also, note that the "en" part initially has to contain the source string - your client would have to copy it there for you):

$LAN_BUTTON_TITLE_SEARCHMASK = array( "de" => "Suchmaske für Seminare", "en" => "Suchmaske für Seminare");
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Non-translatable style Jan 29, 2007

Hi Hynek,

Thanks for your reply! I would like to offer the client a solution where he can keep his arrays and all in the file, so that his re-import will be simple.

How do I apply that non-translatable style you were talking about?

Stefanie

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Non-translatable style Jan 29, 2007

Stephanie,

The following thread should help you:
http://www.proz.com/post/237736

(You can also search the forums for tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal.)

Of course, the search and replace procedure will be a bit more complicated. You need to:

- apply tw4winExternal to the whole document

- search for:
(\"en\" =\> \"*\"\);)
(w
... See more
Stephanie,

The following thread should help you:
http://www.proz.com/post/237736

(You can also search the forums for tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal.)

Of course, the search and replace procedure will be a bit more complicated. You need to:

- apply tw4winExternal to the whole document

- search for:
(\"en\" =\> \"*\"\);)
(with "Use Wildcards") and replace with:
\1
and a normal style,

- search for:
"en" => "
(without "Use Wildcards") and replace with the same in tw4winExternal style,

- search for:
");
(without "Use Wildcards") and replace with the same in tw4winExternal style.

Please read MS Word help for search and replace with wildcards. I didn't have time to try this, so there might be some small syntax errors. In the first search string it is important to use backslash as an escape character.

P.S. The forum software changes some character combinations into smileys. Please use "Reply with quote" to see the strings correctly.

[Edited at 2007-01-29 22:40]
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great, thank you so much! Jan 30, 2007

Thank you for your help, Hynek! This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I will try your suggestions.

Have a nice evening!

Stefanie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best source format to work with Trados

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »