Translating Excel CSV files in SDL Trados Tag Editor
Thread poster: Jacob Winsemius
Jacob Winsemius  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:52
German to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 30, 2007

Dear colleagues,

One of my clients sent me a MS Office Excel CSV-file for translation, which I can open in MS Office Excel 2003 SP1. I didn't however manage to open in the file in SDL Trados Tag Editor (version 2006 Freelance), so I did something not so bright: I copied the column to be translated into a Word file, which I then translated using the Tag Editor. After the clean-up I wanted to paste the column into the CSV Excel file, which doesn't work. I can't save the Excel file in a CSV format, so the whole lay-out (which my client needs) is gone. The good news is that I do have a TM with the whole translation. So I gues my question is: Is it possible to prepare a CSV Excel file for the Tag Editor? I wouldn't like to type the whole thing in Excel (there's a lot of repetitions). I would be immensely grateful for your help.

Best regards,
Jacob

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:52
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No such thing as an "Excel CSV" file Jan 30, 2007

Your client's behaviour is rather puzzling -- there is no such thing as an "Excel CSV" file.

There is of course a "CSV" (Comma Separated Values) file, but it is a plain text file, in which obviously the values are separated by a comma (as opposed for example to tab characters). But it no longer has any connection with Excel, and can no longer be handled by TagEditor (or by normal Trados). By its nature, a .csv file cannot have any layout either.

Your customer should have sent you the normal Excel .xls file, which can easily be translated in TagEditor.

As you have successfully loaded the .csv file into Excel, you are halfway there. After loading that file, save it as an Excel .xls file, and translate that in TagEditor.

I have just tried a quick test, and this procedure works fine. Does that solve your problem?

[Edited at 2007-01-30 23:31]

Oscar Martin
Spain
Local time: 06:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tip Jan 31, 2007

Hi,

You may try to open the CSV file with Notepad and replace "," with " " (a tab between ""). Then save the file and open it with Excel. The tab is the column separator in excel.

If it works, you should only have to copy the translatable column in a separate excel file and translate it. Then cleanup the ttx file and copy the translated column in the source file.

Best regards,

Òscar

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:52
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Load CSV straight into Excel Jan 31, 2007

omartin's tip is of course perfectly correct, but there is no need to convert the CSV file into a tab-delimited file.

On my PC under Win XP, you can either open the CSV file (of filetype .csv) from Excel, or even simpler, highlight the file in Windows Explorer, right click and open the file with Excel. Excel uses the comma to put the values into separate columns.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Excel CSV files in SDL Trados Tag Editor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs