mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:29
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 5, 2007

This translation agency sent these TagEditor files but when I try to open them, the TagEditor asks me to choose a "tag settings file" but the one they sent me seems to open it all garbled (all words become tags!).

What do I do? Is there a way around this?

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:29
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados 7 TagEditor requests "tag settings file" Feb 5, 2007

What do I do? Is there a way around this?

Why don't you ask the agency for the correct .ini file?

mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:29
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dont know either Feb 6, 2007

The translation agency apparently doesn't know which is the right file either. How can I help them?

Because I got this other tag editor file from another agency and it was all right. don't remember any .ini files from them.

Do I have to switch TM??? Or maybe because the text's source language is not selected in my Trados (Swedish)?

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
LSP needs to provide the ini to you Feb 6, 2007

Hello "mopc",

you need a Tag Settings File (ini) for any TTX file which was created from any tagged file format not supported by TRADOS out of the box. E.g. for any xml but dita, customized html, etc.

Tag Settings files are usually created by the engineer in the translation agency, by us or sometimes (!) by the client himself.
If you got a ttx file asking for a specific ini-file, you need to write down the name of the ini file and request it from the agency. They
... See more
Hello "mopc",

you need a Tag Settings File (ini) for any TTX file which was created from any tagged file format not supported by TRADOS out of the box. E.g. for any xml but dita, customized html, etc.

Tag Settings files are usually created by the engineer in the translation agency, by us or sometimes (!) by the client himself.
If you got a ttx file asking for a specific ini-file, you need to write down the name of the ini file and request it from the agency. They need to provide it and need to ask their engineer for it.

You must not mix up different ini files for different customers / projects.

Best,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What is the file name ending before ttx? Feb 6, 2007

You might try to create the ini-settings by yourself, using the method, described in the File Format Reference Guide, which you can find in the Documentation section of your Trados installation.

But nevertheless, our coulleagues are right. The ini file is to be provided by the customer/agency, as we as translators cannot know the right settings.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 TagEditor requests "tag settings file"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »