https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/65224-exporting_tm_from_trados_7.html

Exporting TM from Trados 7
Thread poster: mopc
mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:49
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 5, 2007

Hi, I just finished my first Trados job but I cant figure out how to find the TM file let alone export it. Where is it saved? How do I proceed?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:49
English to German
+ ...
File - Export Feb 5, 2007

Hi mopc,

Hi, I just finished my first Trados job but I cant figure out how to find the TM file let alone export it. Where is it saved? How do I proceed?

The file is saved wherever you created the TM (note that a TM consists of five files with an identical name and different extensions (.tmw - the main database - plus four index files). The directory path is indicated under File - Properties: Location.

To export, use File - Export.

HTH - best regards,
Ralf

mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmmm Feb 5, 2007

I don't remember where I created the memory! I dont even remember if I created one!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:49
English to German
+ ...
Please read my previous post Feb 5, 2007

mopc wrote:

I don't remember where I created the memory!

The directory path is indicated under File - Properties: Location.

I dont even remember if I created one!

You must have in order to use Workbench.

On a general note, I would reiterate my suggestion to go through the Tutorials (in this case, New to SDL Trados - Opening files for translation), and/or to get training.

Best regards,
Ralf

jemo
jemo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
search methods Feb 5, 2007

Open “Translator’s Workbench” (in Windows you’ll find it by going Start/All programs/SDL Trados – it’s one of the blue squares)
Once opened click on file/new. That’s how your create a new TM (read the manual for the steps)
If you have already created one but are not really sure, chances are you will find it by clicking File/open.
If nothing is there or the folder is something else, use search in windows:
Start/search/all files and folders/
And write
... See more
Open “Translator’s Workbench” (in Windows you’ll find it by going Start/All programs/SDL Trados – it’s one of the blue squares)
Once opened click on file/new. That’s how your create a new TM (read the manual for the steps)
If you have already created one but are not really sure, chances are you will find it by clicking File/open.
If nothing is there or the folder is something else, use search in windows:
Start/search/all files and folders/
And write in the file name window: *.tmw
You should find the Tm(s) and their location
Collapse

mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
txt Feb 5, 2007

Thanks I will go thrpugh the tutorials thoroughly when I have the time but for now one more question: how do I export a TM as a text file????

jemo
jemo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
how the txt file comes to life Feb 5, 2007

When you find your TM, open it.
As explained by Ralf, go File – Export.
Ignore for now the next window (with Field and Criterion –unless you already read the tutorial) and click OK.
At the bottom of the opened window, click on the arrow at the right side of the “save as type” line. You have the choice to save your file as a tmx (that’s the Translation Memory eXchange format, highly recommended if the other party has a different tool), or as txt.
You may have t
... See more
When you find your TM, open it.
As explained by Ralf, go File – Export.
Ignore for now the next window (with Field and Criterion –unless you already read the tutorial) and click OK.
At the bottom of the opened window, click on the arrow at the right side of the “save as type” line. You have the choice to save your file as a tmx (that’s the Translation Memory eXchange format, highly recommended if the other party has a different tool), or as txt.
You may have the choice between 2 or more versions of txt. If you want to play safe send both (or more) to the one who asked for it.

[Edited at 2007-02-05 17:54]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting TM from Trados 7

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »