Mobile menu

How do I translate links?
Thread poster: Anette Herbert

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:41
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 7, 2007

I am using SLD Trados 7 with Word 2000 in a document with a lot of hyper links. I have tried overwriting them, and that sometimes work but more often crashes the file.

Is there a Trados trick to use with these links?

//Anette

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
Local time: 05:41
English to German
+ ...
I would not change links Feb 7, 2007

hi! unless specifically demanded, because from a website designer´s perspective a change could mean a total change. Agencies charge a very high price for this changing. Best Brandis

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Links Feb 7, 2007

Probably the safest way in Word is to copy the source (Alt+Ins), right-click the hyperlink and edit it in the dialog box that opens.

But I would recommend using TagEditor instead of Word, because everything is displayed as plain text with tags, which is much easier to edit.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Atl + insert indeed! Feb 7, 2007

Hi Anette

I have done it exactly as Hynek says (but use SDL Trados 7 and Office 2003, in Word + WB and without crushes). The advantage of not doing it in TagEditor, I guess, is that you can edit easily both the link (address) and the name of the link (text to display). So, copy source and, before closing the segment, alter it by right clicking on it.

Kind regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2007-02-07 18:51]

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tag editor good idea Feb 7, 2007

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Probably the safest way in Word is to copy the source (Alt+Ins), right-click the hyperlink and edit it in the dialog box that opens.

But I would recommend using TagEditor instead of Word, because everything is displayed as plain text with tags, which is much easier to edit.

Thank you Hynek, I have to translate the name of the links, but it seems as if right-clicking and editing may be safest as you say. I will try using TE as well, not to muck up the formatting and see what that does.

Using search and replace worked well for a repetitive link, but that may not be any quicker.

Thank you Marta and Brandis too! At least I know there is no "trick" that I am missing!

Anette

Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
TagEditor Feb 7, 2007

Using search and replace worked well for a repetitive link, but that may not be any quicker.

In TE, the hyperlink text and the target (URL) will be two separate segments, so repetitive links will come up as 100% matches.

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Links in TE Feb 7, 2007

Hynek Palatin wrote:

In TE, the hyperlink text and the target (URL) will be two separate segments, so repetitive links will come up as 100% matches.

Ah, I think then I could just translate the links with TE and the rest in WB, that should do it!

Thanks again Hynek!

Anette

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changes of links in TE don't show up in WB Feb 9, 2007

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Because of the nature of the project I need to have the end result in WB. However, I tried and spent a couple of hours of translating just the links in TE, thinking that they would show up in memory when running it through in WB. To my dismay, this did not happen, do you know why?
I tried using both the ttx-file and a new copy of the source document, running them through WB but only the old target sentences showed up, or the translation of the links, but not the link itself. Ie, the text was translated but was not blue and underlined, just black plain text.

Is there anything I missed? All the other changes showed apart from the link formats.

Hope this makes sense...I'm hoping to save some precious time and not have to go through them again and right-click to edit.

Anette

Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Changes of links in TE don't show up in WB Feb 9, 2007

Because of the nature of the project I need to have the end result in WB.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. What is WB?

You should translate the document either in Word or in TagEditor - you should not combine the two workflows. (Workbench will be used in either case.) If you choose Word, you will have to edit the hyperlinks via right-click, even if you translated the same hyperlink in TagEditor before, because Word and TagEditor documents have different structure.

Once you finish translating the document in TagEditor, you save it as DOC and it will contain the translated links.

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe I should say Word, not WB Feb 9, 2007

Hynek Palatin wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. What is WB?

Workbench?
But now I understand, although I have never tried it with links before, but usually when you translate in TE, the memory is the same. Maybe I am not being very clear.

But if I translate a sentence in TE, and later translate the same sentence not using TE, but only Trados workbench (or should I say Word perhaps?), that sentence will come up as 100 % match. Not so with these links.
This is my point, but I suppose it just does not work with the link format and I will have to, as you say, edit hyper link in Word instead.

Thanks for your reply

Anette

Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Workbench, Word and TagEditor Feb 9, 2007

Anette,

Workbench is a program that manages the translation memory. It communicates with the editor, which could be MS Word or TagEditor.

MS Word and TagEditor use different file formats (even though the TagEditor file is created from a MS Word file), so the TM records are not always the same. They are the same for simple sentences, but not for sentences containing special fields, such as hyperlinks.

Hyperlinks in Word are editable via right-click. But in TagEditor, after converting the file from the DOC format to TTX, they become two plain text segments, as you have probably already seen. It is not possible to use the two TM records, created by translating the hyperlink in TagEditor, to translate the same hyperlink in Word, because Word and TagEditor communicate different document structure to Workbench.

You need to decide in the beginning what editor to use. I would recommend TagEditor in general, but it's a matter of preference.

You can also start translating in Word and switch to TagEditor in the middle. You would have to retranslate everything from the beginning, but most of the TM segments would be reusable. It depends on how much work you have already done in Word. But maybe it's easier to forget TagEditor and edit the hyperlinks in Word manually - it's up to you to decide.

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workbench, Word and TagEditor Feb 9, 2007

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Workbench is a program that manages the translation memory. It communicates with the editor, which could be MS Word or TagEditor.

Why thank you very much for clarifying that, I now see why I seemed to confuse you. I never understood this part, it seems obvious now, hence the name Tag*editor*.

Thanks again Hynek, I shall now continue to translate in Word, I do prefer TE as well in these instances, but it is murder to proof read it. In my mind.

Anette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I translate links?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs