Can I delete certain kinds of tag in Tag Editor?
Thread poster: david angel (X)
david angel (X)
david angel (X)
Local time: 20:18
French to English
+ ...
Feb 16, 2007

Hi. I'm using Trados 7.5 with TagEditor.
I'm translating a complex Word document from French into English with lots of text boxes, tables, drawings, etc. However, if I try to use TagEditor to simplify things, there are so many tags that translation is impeded. The vast majority of these tags appear to be enclosing accents. Does anybody know if there is an easy way to get rid of these tags? Any help greatly appreciated.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:18
Italian to English
In memoriam
No tag text or export to RTF and translate in Word Feb 16, 2007

Hi David,

You can't remove tags without TagEditor starting to complain, AFAIK.

I suppose you've tried clicking on "No tag text", the leftmost and smallest of the three blue buttons between the padlock and the "Connect to Workbench" button in the top TagEditor tool bar. This will hide all the text in the tags and might clear up the screen enough for you to work.

Depending on what exactly is in your Word document, another workaround might be to extract the te
... See more
Hi David,

You can't remove tags without TagEditor starting to complain, AFAIK.

I suppose you've tried clicking on "No tag text", the leftmost and smallest of the three blue buttons between the padlock and the "Connect to Workbench" button in the top TagEditor tool bar. This will hide all the text in the tags and might clear up the screen enough for you to work.

Depending on what exactly is in your Word document, another workaround might be to extract the text into an RTF file and translate that in Word with Workbench, perhaps keeping another copy of the original document open for reference. This is the procedure:

1. Create an empty TM
2. Tools/Analyse the file
3. Export unknown segments (99%) - save as RTF
4. Translate the RTF file
5. Tools/Cleanup the RTF into the empty TM
6. Tools/Translate the original file
7. Clean up into the TM of your choice

HTH

Giles

[Edited at 2007-02-16 21:53]
Collapse

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will follow your suggestion. Feb 16, 2007

Thanks very much Giles. No, I haven't tried your suggestion, but will do so straight away. As far as translating in Word is concerned, I'm trying to avoid that because the doc is full of traps: pictures, text boxes, tables, etc.

Incidentally, I have been using your suggested Enlasso tool to great effect in other contexts. A really great tool that has made it possible for me to reorganise my memory completely.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
word of caution Feb 16, 2007

but will do so straight away.

Either a tag is a tag and remains a tag or one turns it into some simple text. TM done for the first case is pretty much useless in the second case - and vice versa.

Maybe you're ready to patch them, for instance edit extracted TMs - but then things get "curiouser and curiouser"...

Wish you of course all the best.

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Avoiding complications Feb 17, 2007

Thanks Vito. I am avoiding anything too complex!

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Tags Feb 17, 2007

Some tags can be omitted safely, for example character formatting tags. Of course, you will lose the formatting that way, but you might not need it in the target segment. There's a chance it's exactly your case. Just make sure you delete both the opening and closing tag and nothing else. Otherwise you might not be able to create the final Word document.

The tags are described in the Trados File Formats Reference Guide.

[Edited at 2007-02-17 11:32]

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can you delete tags? Feb 19, 2007

Thanks Hynek. You must think I'm a bit simple, but how can you delete tags in TagEditor?

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Deleting tags Feb 19, 2007

You need to disable tag protection first:

Tools - Options - Protection

I suggest reading help for more information about the different options.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I delete certain kinds of tag in Tag Editor?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »