https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/66324-sdl_trados_windows_vista.html?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
SDL Trados & Windows Vista
Thread poster: ACMTRAD
ACMTRAD
ACMTRAD  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:45
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Feb 17, 2007

Hello

I own SDL Trados 2006 Professional and I have just upgraded to Windows Vista

My version is SDL Trados 2006 Professional, version 7.5, build 759

I have installed the program but it keeps opening in demo mode
and, under FLEXlm Licence Server, I get the message 'Cannot connect to license server', System Error: 10035 "WinSock: Operation would block".

I really don't know whether Windows Vista is incompatible with SDL Trados 2006, but the
... See more
Hello

I own SDL Trados 2006 Professional and I have just upgraded to Windows Vista

My version is SDL Trados 2006 Professional, version 7.5, build 759

I have installed the program but it keeps opening in demo mode
and, under FLEXlm Licence Server, I get the message 'Cannot connect to license server', System Error: 10035 "WinSock: Operation would block".

I really don't know whether Windows Vista is incompatible with SDL Trados 2006, but the fact is that it does work in demo mode but it says it cannot find the 'lmgrd' file, which is the licence server

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No Vista support Feb 18, 2007

You may wish to double-check this with SDL Trados - just checked on the SDL Support site, where they confirm that SDL Trados 2006 (Trados version 7.5) does not support Windows Vista or Office 2007.

HTH, Ralf

Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:45
English to German
+ ...
I had the same problem ... Feb 18, 2007

... and contacted Trados. (I have an older Dongle licence for Trados 6.5 and floating licences for SDL Trados 2006)

Over the phone I was told: "Only SDL Trados 2007 (to be released end of March) will be compatible with Vista". (Which is the same Peter Linton told me.)

http://www.proz.com/topic/65382

And SDL Trados support informed me by email: "We have not yet tested
... See more
... and contacted Trados. (I have an older Dongle licence for Trados 6.5 and floating licences for SDL Trados 2006)

Over the phone I was told: "Only SDL Trados 2007 (to be released end of March) will be compatible with Vista". (Which is the same Peter Linton told me.)

http://www.proz.com/topic/65382

And SDL Trados support informed me by email: "We have not yet tested SDL Trados 2006 on Vista". (No indication whether they ever will! - Anybody fancy a bet?).

The more recent versions of SDL Trados are not the only ones which don't work with Vista. I changed back to Windows XP and saved myself a lot of other "essential upgrades".

[Edited at 2007-02-18 09:15]
Collapse

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Worth waiting... Feb 18, 2007

Even in the old days when I used a Mac, and they were VERY good about informing developers of new changes in their OS, I still found it good advice (from a comp.techie I shared an office with at the uni) to wait 6-8 months AFTER an OS release before upgrading!

This will be my approach with Vista too

ACMTRAD
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2007

Thanks to all the people that replied

It looks as if I will have to wait until March to be able to use my SDL Trados in Windows Vista.

I did not want to upgrade to Windows Vista but due to different circumstances I had to

I know I could use a collegue's computer which runs an owned version of Trados, but his Trados version is earlier than mine so I cannot use my memories (I did not export them as .txt files before upgrading), so don't really know what to do
... See more
Thanks to all the people that replied

It looks as if I will have to wait until March to be able to use my SDL Trados in Windows Vista.

I did not want to upgrade to Windows Vista but due to different circumstances I had to

I know I could use a collegue's computer which runs an owned version of Trados, but his Trados version is earlier than mine so I cannot use my memories (I did not export them as .txt files before upgrading), so don't really know what to do

Anyway, thank you for you help and I'll keep you posted if there are any 'improvments'
Collapse

ACMTRAD
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Tried in laptop and did not work Feb 19, 2007

As my SDL TRados would not work in Windows Vista, I wanted to install the program in my laptop (which runsWindows XP)

I did it as I thought one could install the program in 2 computers but it does not work

I have followed all the instructions and my licence file is still not recognized

My situation is this: my old computer collapsed, so I had to change the hard drive. I installed a new hard drive with Windows Vista. I also have a laptop with Windows XP
... See more
As my SDL TRados would not work in Windows Vista, I wanted to install the program in my laptop (which runsWindows XP)

I did it as I thought one could install the program in 2 computers but it does not work

I have followed all the instructions and my licence file is still not recognized

My situation is this: my old computer collapsed, so I had to change the hard drive. I installed a new hard drive with Windows Vista. I also have a laptop with Windows XP

I have installed both SDL Trados and the licence server in my laptop. When I use my .lic file it says that no licence server could be found

When I run FLEXlm, I get this message:
"lmgrd is not running: Cannot connect to license server
The server (lmgrd) has not been started yet, or
the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the
port or hostname in the license file has been changed.
Server name: XXXXXX
License path: @XXXXXX
FLEXlm error: -15,570. System Error: 10035 "WinSock: Operation would block"

Basically, I have the same problems as when I tried to install the program in Windows Vista

I have contacted SDL support (online) but I have received no reply

I really don't know what else to do as I cannot work if I cannot use my 2,000-Euros-worth program so I would really appreciate any help
Collapse

Elizabeth Sánchez León
Elizabeth Sánchez León  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you tried... Feb 20, 2007

to save the .lic file on the same location SDL Trados is located on the hard drive?
From time to time, when I open Trados 7 it does not recognize the .lic file. I have saved it on two different locations on the hard drive and I switch between them everytime this happens. I do not know why does this occur, but after changing the location it always works again.

If I were you, I would format your new hard drive and I would install XP until SP2 or SP3 comes out for Vista or SDL T
... See more
to save the .lic file on the same location SDL Trados is located on the hard drive?
From time to time, when I open Trados 7 it does not recognize the .lic file. I have saved it on two different locations on the hard drive and I switch between them everytime this happens. I do not know why does this occur, but after changing the location it always works again.

If I were you, I would format your new hard drive and I would install XP until SP2 or SP3 comes out for Vista or SDL Trados 2007 is released.
Collapse

ACMTRAD
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Feb 20, 2007

Thank you Elizabeth for your suggestion.

I did save the .lic file on 2 different locations (including the folder where SDL Trados is installed and is still not working.

I still have not received any reply at all from SDL customer support so there is nothing I can do.

If the problem cannot be solved I will have to reinstall Windows XP but I would prefer to kep Windows Vista as so far I find it is a very good operating system.

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
How to run SDL TRADOS 2006 on Vista Feb 21, 2007

Hello,

well you can run SDL TRADOS 2006 on Vista and don't need to wait for SDL TRADOS 2007.
Actualy SDL TRADOS 2006 is Vista compatible. However, the FLEXlm License Server is not.

First, in the Vista Firewall you need to allow the lmdiag.exe, lmgrd.exe, lmtools.exe and trados.exe from the "License Server" folder in your TRADOS installation folder, so that these file can start their communication. Check your Vista documentation on how to allow program to communica
... See more
Hello,

well you can run SDL TRADOS 2006 on Vista and don't need to wait for SDL TRADOS 2007.
Actualy SDL TRADOS 2006 is Vista compatible. However, the FLEXlm License Server is not.

First, in the Vista Firewall you need to allow the lmdiag.exe, lmgrd.exe, lmtools.exe and trados.exe from the "License Server" folder in your TRADOS installation folder, so that these file can start their communication. Check your Vista documentation on how to allow program to communicate in the Vista Firewall.

Second, on XP you have runnning the FLEXlm License Server as a service starting automatically with Windows ("Start Server at Power Up"). Vista does not allow the FLEXlm License Server to start automatically as a service. You need to deactivate the "Use Service" (Tab "Config Services") and start the Server manually after every reboot (Tab "Start/Stop/Read", button "Start").

Following this, you can work with SDL TRADOS 2006 on Vista.

Along with many other new features SDL TRADOS 2007 will fully support Windows Vista and Office 2007. You can preorder 2007 Freelance Edition here:
translationzone.com.

Best Regards,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG
Collapse

ACMTRAD
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
IT WORKED!!! Feb 21, 2007

Dear Stephan

Thank you ever so much for your help!!!

I did what you said and now my SDL Trados works fine in Windows Vista

It was the bloody Windows Firewall that causing all the problems

Thank you so much to all the people who gave their advice

Mike McDonald (X)
Mike McDonald (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
Not for me though! Feb 26, 2007

I followed Stefan's instructions, but when I try to start the license server manually in 'Services' it comes up with this message after a few 'progress bar' seconds:

"Windows could not start the TRADOS FLEXIm Licence Server service on Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
More detailed instrucion Feb 28, 2007

Hello Mike,

Mike McDonald wrote:
I followed Stefan's instructions, but when I try to start the license server manually in 'Services' ...

Maybe my instruction was not detailled enough:

Stefan Gentz wrote:
Vista does not allow the FLEXlm License Server to start automatically as a service. You need to deactivate the "Use Service" (Tab "Config Services") and start the Server manually after every reboot (Tab "Start/Stop/Read", button "Start").

As I said, you cannot start FLEXlm on Vista as a service. Neither automatically nor manually. Running FLEXlm as a service simply does not work at all in Vista (at least not until LMTOOLS version 9.51).

What I meant with "starting manually" was *not* starting it manually as a service. You have to go into the LMTOOLS ("FLEXlm Licensing Tool"):

Start > All Programs > SDL International > SDL FLEXlm License Server > FLEXlm Licensing Tool

There you have to do two things:
1. Go to tab "Config Services".
2. Deactivate the checkbox "Start Server at Power Up" (in the tab "Config Services")
3. Deactivate the checkbox "Use Service" (in the tab "Config Services")
4. Press Button "Save Service".
5. Go to tab "Start/Stop/Reread".
6. Press Button "Start Server".
Done.

Unfortunately you have to start the server this way manually after each reboot, which is "a little bit" annoying.

Best,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG

[Bearbeitet am 2007-02-28 15:34]

Claire Loveridge
Claire Loveridge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Multiterm in Word Mar 1, 2007

Has anyone had any issues with Multiterm 7 working correctly within Word 2003 on Vista?

When trying to Open and Select a Termbase, only the "Sample" one is showing even though Translator's Workbench and Multiterm are showing all the Termbases correctly.

In addition, when trying to Add a Term through Word, an error is thrown: "Operation must use an updateable query".

Apart from this (rather critical!) problem, it all seems to be working fine on Vista.... :S<
... See more
Has anyone had any issues with Multiterm 7 working correctly within Word 2003 on Vista?

When trying to Open and Select a Termbase, only the "Sample" one is showing even though Translator's Workbench and Multiterm are showing all the Termbases correctly.

In addition, when trying to Add a Term through Word, an error is thrown: "Operation must use an updateable query".

Apart from this (rather critical!) problem, it all seems to be working fine on Vista.... :S

Thanks,
Claire

[Edited at 2007-03-01 21:53]
Collapse

Mike McDonald (X)
Mike McDonald (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
That worked - up to a point Mar 4, 2007

Thank you for the clarification. It worked fine up to a point: The server was definitely left working, but the same message came back when I tried to run Trados ("Trados Translator's Workbench is not working"). I followed the procedure again from the beginning, but this time clicked on the Server status tab and pressed the Perform Status Enquiry button. This message appeared in the tab's window:
"[Detecting lmgrd processes...]
Error getting status: No SERVER lines in license file
... See more
Thank you for the clarification. It worked fine up to a point: The server was definitely left working, but the same message came back when I tried to run Trados ("Trados Translator's Workbench is not working"). I followed the procedure again from the beginning, but this time clicked on the Server status tab and pressed the Perform Status Enquiry button. This message appeared in the tab's window:
"[Detecting lmgrd processes...]
Error getting status: No SERVER lines in license file
License path: C:\Program Files\TRADOS\License Server\License Files -
\license.lic
FLEXlm error: -13,66
For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
available at "www.macrovision.com".

I checked that the content of license.lic was the same on both the working copy and the spare - it was, as was their time and date stamp.

For the record, I am using Word 2000 - Word 2007 is awaiting installation once Trados Freelance 2007 arrives.

Thanks for your assistance, which did get me a stage further.

Mike McDonald

[Edited at 2007-03-04 17:40]
Collapse

John O'Hare
John O'Hare
Dutch to English
Same problem as Claire with Word and Multiterm Mar 29, 2007

In Vista everything seems to work ok, except the Multiterm toolbar in Word which only shows the Trados default small sample GermanEnglish database: there must be some Windows register problem at play here. Any possible solutions??

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados & Windows Vista

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »