Mobile menu

Bold switching to unBold and unBold switching to bold
Thread poster: Coppi
Coppi
Local time: 14:22
English to French
Feb 22, 2007

Hi all
Here is the problem, I try to translate a doc file (word+trados) and on one PC when I open some segments bold word in the source segment switch to unblod and some unblod word switching to bold. Or notITalic switching to italic.
But if I try on an other PC everything is fine.
I deleted all the *.DOT on the «bad» PC but nothing works, the style are still changing.
Does anyone had already have this?
Thanks a lot for your help

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:22
Italian to English
Style problems Feb 23, 2007

Hi Coppi,

This sort of thing is usually associated with a badly (i.e., directly) formatted Word document.

As this message in the TW_users Yahoo group explains:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/38203

one workaround is to reapply the formatting by means of the style sheet.

Jerzy Czopik has helped people with the problem lots of times (check the ProZ archives):

http://www.proz.com/post/227250#227250

Or you can use TagEditor, which avoids the problem entirely.

HTH

Giles

Coppi
Local time: 14:22
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 23, 2007

Giles thanks a lot for the quick answer.
First thing, I know that those document were baddly made, and I am totally agree that this problem come from the word formatting, but...(there is always a but) why on my PC it works and on an other it doesn'T.
Styles shoud be problematic on each PC, ins't it?
Thanks for your help
Cheers

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:22
Italian to English
Different Word settings or fonts? Feb 23, 2007

I would imagine it's the style settings and/or fonts that are different in the versions of Word installed on the two PCs.

When I get disastrously formatted documents from publishers - or even the odd agency sometimes - they have usually been exported from a DTP program or PDF. I phone my contact and suggest that I should strip out the styles (charging for my time, if appropriate).

The text is generally destined to be reformatted and DTPed again anyway so in most cases the customer is only too happy to get a clean document back from me.

If stripping and resetting the styles doesn't work, just do the job in TagEditor. That way the customer will get back exactly what was delivered (on the well-known principle of "garbage in, garbage out").

Cheers,

Giles

[Edited at 2007-02-23 16:44]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bold switching to unBold and unBold switching to bold

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs