Searching/Editing TM
Thread poster: Hikonishi (X)
Hikonishi (X)
Hikonishi (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:48
English to Japanese
Feb 23, 2007

I want to serach sentences containing a specific term, and edit each sentence. I went to Maintainance>Filter. I cannot seach setences containing key word uing "Text Field" or [Segments]. Please advise me how to search sentences containing a key word, and edit them.

Thank you!

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:48
Italian to English
In memoriam
Two possibilities Feb 23, 2007

For individual changes:

In the Filter Field List you'll see a list of [Segments]. Highlight the language you want to search in and click "Add" next to the "Criterion" box, which will turn white. Enter the string you want between asterisks (*xxx*). This command is case-sensitive, BTW.

Click OK and you'll get all the occurrences in batches (you define the "Translation units processed at a time", which can be up to 50). You can edit units individually by right-click
... See more
For individual changes:

In the Filter Field List you'll see a list of [Segments]. Highlight the language you want to search in and click "Add" next to the "Criterion" box, which will turn white. Enter the string you want between asterisks (*xxx*). This command is case-sensitive, BTW.

Click OK and you'll get all the occurrences in batches (you define the "Translation units processed at a time", which can be up to 50). You can edit units individually by right-clicking on one of the language flags.

For global changes:

Under the Filter button in Translation Memory Maintenance is another button that says "Find and Replace".

Click on that and then on the Help button, which will tell you what you can and can't do.

Remember that changes made with Find and Replace are global, which means that you have to filter the translation memory by attribute, date or whatever first if you want to apply the changes to a subset of segments only.

If you are not entirely sure (the procedure isn't particularly intuitive), make a copy of your translation memory to practise on, or use a small TM created for the purpose.

Good luck!

Giles

[Edited at 2007-02-23 09:32]
Collapse

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Thank you... Feb 23, 2007

To both hkonishi and Giles:

hkonishi wrote:
I want to serach sentences containing a specific term,

Giles Watson wrote:
For individual changes:
For global changes:
Good luck!

Giles

For a good question and a good answer!

Bill

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Asterisks Feb 23, 2007

Giles Watson wrote:

Enter the string you want between asterisks (*xxx*). This command is case-sensitive, BTW.

Be careful, the asterisk replaces one or more characters, which means that *xxx* won't find xxx at the beginning or end of segment.

Hikonishi (X)
United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 23, 2007

It woks well! Thank you very much!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:48
English to French
+ ...
Translation memory maintenance Feb 23, 2007

You can also use Olifant, it was specifically made for such tasks as the one you want to perform. It is compatible with Trados, Wordfast and a few others - well, as long as you can export the TM as TMX, basically.

Here is the link to download it (it's free and quite useful):

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

So far, in my e
... See more
You can also use Olifant, it was specifically made for such tasks as the one you want to perform. It is compatible with Trados, Wordfast and a few others - well, as long as you can export the TM as TMX, basically.

Here is the link to download it (it's free and quite useful):

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

So far, in my experience, the beta version found at the above link is better than the one you can find on SourceForge, which is more recent but not as stable, with more bugs. They are working on it, and it could become much better than the beta version (I know they are adding some interesting features).

I also sometimes have a little bit of trouble with Trados when it comes to TM maintenance. In concordance, the minimum match value you can specify is 30%, which is too high when you are looking for single words in four-liner sentences. The Maintenance feature also is very rigid and sometimes I just can't find words that I know are there.

Olifant will find everything (you can search & replace and there are advanced filters for searching) and will even let you customize your TM (I often use it to separate my TUs from other translators' TUs in the same project, so that I can use the other translators' TUs as a read-only memory and mine as the active memory - this is useful when you are working with "dirty" TMs that contain four different translations for the same term, whereas you already established THE correct translation with the client).

Try it, it is great for TM management!

[Edited at 2007-02-23 19:32]
Collapse

Hikonishi (X)
United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Olifant: I cannot read TM files (TXT and TMW) Feb 26, 2007

I downloaded both Olifant alpha and beta. However, I cannot load TM files (txt and tmw files). What cause the problem?

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching/Editing TM

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »