Mobile menu

Error 33202 trying to import translation memory
Thread poster: Magnus Eriksson

Magnus Eriksson  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
Portuguese to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 27, 2007

I have received a translation memory from a colleague that I want to import into my existing translation memory. Unfortunately the import process aborts after approx. 200 segments and the following error message is displayed:
"(33202): The {1-9> mark for starting a subsegment is missing or damaged."

What surprises me is not that an error is detected, but that Trados decides to abort the whole import process as if it was technically impossible to continue. Isn't there any way you can convince Trados to continue importing, simply skipping the segments that it considers damaged?

I am using Trados 7.1.0.719 and my colleague is using Trados 7.5. I received his memory in zip-format containing the five normal translation memory files. I opened the memory on my computer and exported it to the formats TMX (1.1) and TXT (7.x and 2.x-6.x), but none of these formats can be imported afterwards. The error message changed to the following when I tried to import the TXT (2.x-6.x) file:
"(50052): Inconsistent data. Please reorganise the database or run an export/import." But I have reorganised the memory several times, to no avail.

I also tried exporting my memory, closing my memory, opening his memory and importing my memory into his, but with the same result. Also, my colleague gets all the same errors when he tries to import my memory into his.

Obviously there are damaged segments in both translation memories, which is not surprising considering the source files' complexity, size and number. But I don't see fit to start searching for and correcting individual bad segments, and besides, no log file is created during the import to indicate the location of these "bad" segments. There is no problem using the individual memories in the translation process, but merging them seems impossible at the moment.

Direct link Reply with quote

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 02:18
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Edit txt export file Feb 27, 2007

Hello,

it would be possible, that ypu can edit the txt (Trados 2 - 6) export file in a text editor..

If the export stops after 200 segments, it can help if you delete the frist units in the export file and try the import again.

Errors like this in the Memorys often occur if you work with a newer Trados workbench versiona than the database format of the memory.

So you should always make new memorys (export with old trados version, create new memory with new trados version and import) after you update your trados version.

Regards
Hans

Magnus Eriksson  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
Portuguese to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 28, 2007

Thanks for your tips Hans.

I finally found the needle (the damaged segment) in the haystack. I repeatedly deleted parts of the exported text file until I managed to isolate the segment. Still, though, it is a time consuming and awkward way of rectifying a small error.

Whether different Trados versions played a role in creating this problem I don't know. But it is a fact that my colleague upgraded to Trados 7.5 recently and probably didn't carry out the recommended export procedure you describe (I would probably also have skipped this procedure by the way). I'll make sure to follow those instructions when I upgrade in the future, just in case...

Best regards,
Magnus

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados Workbench gets stuck while exporting. TM Analysis gets stuck as well. Aug 5, 2007

After importing an aligned (Winalign) file into SDL Trados 2007 Workbench, not only does the workbench not recognize segments that I know are in there, but it gets stuck while analyzing at segment 2008 and says 'Inconsistent data. Please reorganise or run import export'.
As I said, it won't do either, so how can I manually get to segment 2008 or return the large and important TM (latest backup was 4 months ago) to the state it was in before I imported the (m)aligned segments?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Trados is the only program I know that gradually gets worse with every new version.

Translatum Oy
Finland
Local time: 03:18
English to Finnish
+ ...
Trados 5 helped! Aug 7, 2007

HI,

did you try using an older version of Trados as suggested above or do you have someone who could do that for you? We just solved two similar problems thanks to the tip given in this thread. We had tried to reorganize the TMs again and again in 2006 and 2007 versions and didn't get anywhere, reorganize got stuck in analysis stage. Then we tried with Trados 5.5 and it worked wonderfully, reorganization took about two seconds and after that export works fine. Both these TMs had been originally created with Trados 5.0.

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

After importing an aligned (Winalign) file into SDL Trados 2007 Workbench, not only does the workbench not recognize segments that I know are in there, but it gets stuck while analyzing at segment 2008 and says 'Inconsistent data. Please reorganise or run import export'.
As I said, it won't do either, so how can I manually get to segment 2008 or return the large and important TM (latest backup was 4 months ago) to the state it was in before I imported the (m)aligned segments?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Trados is the only program I know that gradually gets worse with every new version.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:18
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Watch out ... a TM is not a TM is not a TM Aug 7, 2007

...Gertrude Stein would say:
"(33202): The {1-9> mark for starting a subsegment is missing or damaged."

This smells of a TM, that knows about footnotes (starting with 7.5) The older versions ... well, what are they supposed to do, when hitting upon it?

Please think of the following: it is supposed to support 150+ languages, three or more different (correction, differently screwed up) operating systems, two (or is it three by now?) Office suites, X different JRE versions, new (ODF, Xliff this or that ) file formats...

And - the last but not the least - know how to take a pizza order without falling apart.

Let's be honest, this is a tough call. But, this is no reason for showing mercy;)

[Edited at 2007-08-07 09:52]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error 33202 trying to import translation memory

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs