Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:51
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 28, 2007

Hello everybody,

I am working with TagEditor and Multiterm of Trados 7. I have created a new termbase for a new project. Now I have some entries containing only one word and some (like titles for particular screens in the software I am translating) longer terms containing the word mentioned.

Example:
"Danger" and "Dangerous group management"
WB does not display the latter but only "Danger" (if there is the word "danger" in the segment).
Another example is:
I have two entries in MT: "Overflow pivot" and "Overflow pivot management". WB Terminology does not display the latter (even if "Overflow pivot" is followed by "management").

I am under the impression that WB does not show longer entries in Multiterm this time (it's the first time I recognize this problem).

I have entered two different "subjects" in MT. "General" and "screen", WB Terminology only displays "general" entries...not the longer "screen"-entries...

Does anybody know what this could mean?

Thanks a lot!

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:51
English to French
+ ...
Suggestion Feb 28, 2007

I would suggest to check what the percentage value you specified for termbase matches in Workbench is (Options > Term Recognition Options > Settings tab > Minimum Match Value %). I always work with low values, and I get lots of results so I have to "scroll" to the right match. But at least, I get all possible matches. This could be what's wrong on your end.

If the value specified for this is too high, you may be getting only the near 100% matches and that may be why you don't get the entries you expect.

All the best!

Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Same case here Feb 28, 2007

Leena is right. When the length of the translation term is a bit longer, the term is not visualized in the Terminology Window of Trados Workbench. However, it is detected in the Source Window and can be inserted by shortcuts. Maybe the window has some limitations or it's a bug

I use Trados 7.5.0.759

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I would suggest to check what the percentage value you specified for termbase matches in Workbench is (Options > Term Recognition Options > Settings tab > Minimum Match Value %). I always work with low values, and I get lots of results so I have to "scroll" to the right match. But at least, I get all possible matches. This could be what's wrong on your end.

If the value specified for this is too high, you may be getting only the near 100% matches and that may be why you don't get the entries you expect.

All the best!

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:51
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
MT works for me Feb 28, 2007

Leena vom Hofe wrote:
I have two entries in MT: "Overflow pivot" and "Overflow pivot management". WB Terminology does not display the latter (even if "Overflow pivot" is followed by "management").

I am under the impression that WB does not show longer entries in Multiterm this time (it's the first time I recognize this problem).

Puzzling problem, because it works fine for me.

I have just done a test in WB 7.5 and MultiiTerm 7.0. I have added two entries in MT: "Overflow pivot" and "Overflow pivot management", and when I translate a text in MS Word and WB, containing these phrases, both phrases appear correctly from MT in the WB window, in the correct length, as expected, and I can use the "Get Current Term" command to bring the correct phrase into my translation.

So the length of the MT entry is not likely to be the problem.

That doesn't help you, but it does suggest there might be some simple reason for your problem, perhaps the configuration. Could you give us more detail?

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Peter, Viktoria and Ivaylo Mar 2, 2007

Special thanks to Peter!

I am not sure know which details you need. It still does not work for me. I have tried what Victoria suggested, but that does not help either.

This is the first time, this problem appears...

I thought, maybe it has to do with the new "subject" I entered in MT (because those longer entries have all the "Screen"- subject in MT and not "general", but I can not really believe this should be a problem...it never was).

Please tell me what kind of details you need, I will try and do what I can.

Thanks again!
Leena

Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Try a test Mar 2, 2007

Leena, rather than trying to work out where the problem is, I suggest doing a short experiment. This works for me, and if it doesn't work you, it should then be easier to track down where the problem lies.

This is what I did:
In MUltiterm 7, I opened a test termbase.
I added 4 separate source terms:

Overflow
Overflow pivot
Overflow pivot management
Overflow pivot management control

Purely for test purposes, I entered the following target terms:
eins
zwei
drei
vier

Then I created this short test file:

I have just done a test in WB 7.5 and MultiTerm 7.0.
I have added four entries in MT.
The first is just the word Overflow by itdself, and the translation eins.
The second has Overflow pivot and zwei.
The third is "Overflow pivot management", three words.
Finally, number 4 is Overflow pivot management control with 4 words, translated as vier.
These should all be shown separately.

Then I opened WB (using a text tmw) and started translating.
As expected, each occurrence of the four test phrases appeared correctly, with the correct length, in WB, and I was able to use the Get Current Traceable to bring eins, zwei etc into my test translation.

So it works, and now it is just a matter of tracking down the bottleneck in your system.

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
works fine...but Mar 3, 2007

Hi Peter,

I have tried this and it works fine. Even with TagEditor its no problem!

But I have checked my actual translation again and I am still having the problem with my Termbase.

I have given you english examples for better understanding, but I am actually working from French to German... But this language pair works as well with a newly created test-termbase!

In the sentence: "C'est dans l'ecran qu'il est possible d'affecter une adresse de pivot de débordement a un article." WB does not display "Gestion des pivots de débordement" but only "pivots de débordement" (and both entries exist in my termbase!)
("" show tags in the text)

Could this be because there are those two tags enclosing the actual term?

Thanks again for your great help!

Have a nice week-end!

Leena

Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I suspect you are right Mar 4, 2007

I suspect you are right -- it is to do with the tags or formatting.
I am not sure I can provide any better advice. Frustrating.

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nevertheless: Thanks Peter Mar 5, 2007

Ok, it seems that I will have to live with this... Its not all entries, so it will be ok..

Have a nice week!

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Similar problem Mar 13, 2007

I've got a similar problem with term entries containing more than one word.
Actually, it's the opposite for me, the term is displayed, but I can't insert it in the translation, just the part which is highlighted, not the whole translation.
Here's a screenshot of what I get:

If I use the usual shortcut, it will only add "habitacle". I tried everything, no way to insert the complete translation "filtre à air d'habitacle".

Pretty annoying since the point of MultiTerm is not to have to type those long entries all the time...

I use Multiterm 7.1.0.361 and WB 7.5.0.759.

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Solution Mar 20, 2007

It's a problem with the apostroph ' in my case.
It doesn't work when I add terms like "aujourd'hui" or "filtre d'habitacle" from Word, but it works when I edit them in Multiterm.

[Modifié le 2007-03-20 15:35]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WB-Multiterm-Terminology does not display longer entries

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs