Mobile menu

License problems with "floating license" in SDL Trados 2006
Thread poster: bure
bure
English
Mar 1, 2007

Software: Translators Workbech version 7.5.0.756 (Build 756), Part of SDL Trados 2006.

To get rid of the dongle usage, our company decided to use a "floating license" instead. So we bought such a license for Trados a while ago (i.e. a license that can be shared between different users). Only one user at a time can use applications like Translator's Workbech (TW) and TagEditor (TE). However, I often experience problems accessing the very same memmory I had contact with just moments ago (after closing and restarting TW).

In my non-technical world, I can simply explain it like this: The license server, (installed at a different computer on the network) seems to fail to "make correct notes" of what happens with the license when one uses TW or TE.

I was encouraged by the support team at Trados to make sure that I could make contact with the license server when the problem arrise again (they thought the problem might be related to network issues), which I did. TW reported back that the "test was succesfull". I closed the TW and opened it again with no success. Waiting for a while (5-10 minutes) seems to help though. The problem accessing the translation memmory dissapears like it never happened.

This is very annoying though, since we can not afford having people to wait for the application to work properly.

TE is more tolerant though allowing me to work with *.ttx files while in "demo mode". The main issue is TW. With no access to the memmory I am left to the mercy of the software, a position I am not inclined to accept indefinitely.

So please, can anyone tell me if there is a cure for this erratic TW behaviour?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:56
English to Swedish
+ ...
An issue for the SDL support Mar 2, 2007

bure wrote:

Software: Translators Workbech version 7.5.0.756 (Build 756), Part of SDL Trados 2006.

To get rid of the dongle usage, our company decided to use a "floating license" instead. So we bought such a license for Trados a while ago (i.e. a license that can be shared between different users). Only one user at a time can use applications like Translator's Workbech (TW) and TagEditor (TE). However, I often experience problems accessing the very same memmory I had contact with just moments ago (after closing and restarting TW).

In my non-technical world, I can simply explain it like this: The license server, (installed at a different computer on the network) seems to fail to "make correct notes" of what happens with the license when one uses TW or TE.

I was encouraged by the support team at Trados to make sure that I could make contact with the license server when the problem arrise again (they thought the problem might be related to network issues), which I did. TW reported back that the "test was succesfull". I closed the TW and opened it again with no success. Waiting for a while (5-10 minutes) seems to help though. The problem accessing the translation memmory dissapears like it never happened.

This is very annoying though, since we can not afford having people to wait for the application to work properly.

TE is more tolerant though allowing me to work with *.ttx files while in "demo mode". The main issue is TW. With no access to the memmory I am left to the mercy of the software, a position I am not inclined to accept indefinitely.

Hi Bure,

I'm with you, the license server can be a b*tch to understand and configure the way you want.

In our case there was garbage chars inside the license file, and confusion surrounding the folder structure where the license files were residing.

The bottom line is, only SDL support can (and should!) help you with this, it's far too complex for Proz users with no access to your data. Zip the folder structure where you keep your license files, and send it to them for analysis.

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-03-02 11:15]

bure
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan Mar 5, 2007

I will follow your advice and send TRADOS the license file. Maybe they can see if anything is wrong with it.

Jan Sundström wrote:

bure wrote:

Hi Bure,

I'm with you, the license server can be a b*tch to understand and configure the way you want.

In our case there was garbage chars inside the license file, and confusion surrounding the folder structure where the license files were residing.

The bottom line is, only SDL support can (and should!) help you with this, it's far too complex for Proz users with no access to your data. Zip the folder structure where you keep your license files, and send it to them for analysis.

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-03-02 11:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

License problems with "floating license" in SDL Trados 2006

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs