Mobile menu

Multiterm-Microsoft Visual Basic error when using spell check
Thread poster: Nicole Martin

Nicole Martin
Local time: 04:06
German to English
Mar 2, 2007

I'm working with Trados 5.5 and MultiTerm 5.0. I'm translating SGML files in TagEditor. To make a long story short, I'm using a MultiTerm database that contains a German-English list of vehicle components as a reference. Every so often, a sentence refers to a component name, and I have to use the name in MultiTerm. The easiest way to incorporate the MultiTerm translation is to search for the component number in MultiTerm, double-click on the English field in the entry (which automatically copies it to the clipboard) and then paste it into the target sentence. Because of the way the MultiTerm database is set up and the way the component numbers are referenced in the source (in tags rather than actual text), Multi-Term doesn't automatically search for these entries when the segment is opened and I can't use the "Get term" buttons or commands in TagEditor to enter them. I have to search and double-click.
This works just fine, unless I happen to have Word (2000 version) open. If Word is open and I double-click on a field in MultiTerm to copy it, a box labelled "Microsoft Visual Basic" pops up. It says "Ambiguous name detected: TmpDDE". There are two buttons, OK and Help. If I click OK, the box goes away and I can paste the English in. But the box pops up every time I double-click a field in MultiTerm. If I click the Help button, I get a Microsoft Word help page that says "The identifier conflicts with another identifier or requires qualification. This error has the following causes and solutions:" and goes to give two problems that I frankly don't even understand and solutions that I understand even less.
If I try to close Word to avoid this message, then it causes problems with the spell check in TagEditor. I use the plug-in for the Word spell checker and have it check every segment before closing. But when I close Word after experiencing this problem, then every time a segment closes, I get an error message that says "Object variable or with block variable not set". I then have to turn off the spell check feature to make that problem stop.
If I turn spell check back on, the "Object variable" error message keeps popping up each time a segment is closed. If I want to use spell check, I have to either shut down TagEditor, MultiTerm and Workbench and reopen them, or sometimes even restart my computer.

As far as I can remember, I didn't have this problem until I got a new computer. I was using Windows 2000 and all of the Office 2000 programs. Now I'm using Windows XP and Office 2003, except for Word (which is 2000 because Trados 5.5 doesn't work with anything newer).

Obviously I can get around this problem and still get my work done, but it's really annoying. I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it, and I couldn't find any information from Trados or here.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm-Microsoft Visual Basic error when using spell check

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs