Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
English to Spanish
Mar 3, 2007

I have SDL TRADOS 7. Windows XP.

I received a qsc file to translate with TagEditor. It is only 2 pages, nothing complicated. Everything went smoothly.

- I opened the file,
- saved it as "bilingual",
- translated,
- saved it, and
- saved it again as "target".
- Closed the file and
- called the Clean Up function in Workbench (which had been opened all the time).

The Clean Up function "seemed" to work, meaning I did
... See more
I have SDL TRADOS 7. Windows XP.

I received a qsc file to translate with TagEditor. It is only 2 pages, nothing complicated. Everything went smoothly.

- I opened the file,
- saved it as "bilingual",
- translated,
- saved it, and
- saved it again as "target".
- Closed the file and
- called the Clean Up function in Workbench (which had been opened all the time).

The Clean Up function "seemed" to work, meaning I did not get any messages or errors: 100% results.

I opened the "target" (cleaned up) file and it is not clean. The source is still there. I have 3 verification messages: "There are spacing differences between source and translation before tag xx." I do not believe that to be that serious as to prevent the file from cleaning up.

Does anyone have any idea why or a suggestion? I'd appreciate your sharing it.

[Edited at 2007-03-03 03:04]

This from the log file:

Start Cleanup: Fri Mar 02 21:07:54 2007

Translation Memory: C:\Documents and Settings\Luisa Ramos\My Documents\xxxx\xxxxx\xxxxx Memory.tmw

C:\Documents and Settings\Luisa Ramos\My Documents\xxxx\xxxxx\#621 (1206).qsc target.ttx

Segments Words Chars/Word Placeables
Cleaned 72 936 5.35 115
Updated 0 0 0
Total 72 936 5.35 115

Cleanup Total (1 file):

Segments Words Chars/Word Placeables
Cleaned 72 936 5.35 115
Updated 0 0 0
Total 72 936 5.35 115

Cleanup finished successfully without errors!

[Edited at 2007-03-03 03:17]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:28
English to German
+ ...
Works as designed Mar 3, 2007

Hi Luisa,
The TTX file will remain bilingual after cleanup - essentially, for TTX files, the cleanup process does the same as "Save as target" (the main difference being that the cleanup process can update your TM with any corrections made without opening the segment).

IOW it's not a bug - it's a feature. Unless you have saved the target under a different name, your QSC file should now contain the target.

HTH, Ralf

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Just confirming Mar 3, 2007

Hello Ralf. I knew I could count on your knowledge. Something about ttx files rang a bell and that is why I edited my post and included the log file. But frankly, I did not remember what it was. Thanks a lot for putting my mind at peace.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench Clean Up seems to work but TagEditor target file still bilingual

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »