positive experience with TWB 7.5 - footnotes work like a charm
Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Local time: 15:45
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Mar 3, 2007

I have a document with a lot of footnotes and I have to admit, it works like a charm. The solution is elegant: TWB opens and closes an extra window for footnotes and it records them in a new (and elegant) way in the translation unit.

A note of warning: the footnote numbers get an extra bracket of hidden marks, something like [1}footnote number {1]. If one of the pair is missing (it can happen if source is cut and pasted and the footnote is at the end of the selection) then the translation unit does not want to close etc.

Still, a minor fly in a big positive ointment.

Direct link Reply with quote

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
Partial member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
I concur Mar 3, 2007

Did a similar job recently and Workbench opened and processed the footnotes in Word very easily.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
English to French
+ ...
It is great Mar 3, 2007

However, the first time I had to work with footnotes, I wasn't sure how to open the footnote (I expected WB to open them on its own, without human intervention, upon Set - Close / Open - Get). The hidden marks confused me at first... I guess editing footnotes with WB is much like editing textboxes - you have to keep in mind that they are separate from the rest of the text. Make sure you keep an eye out for footnotes!

Now that I know how to deal with this, editing footnotes is a breeze.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

positive experience with TWB 7.5 - footnotes work like a charm

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs