https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/67456-positive_experience_with_twb_75_footnotes_work_like_a_charm.html

positive experience with TWB 7.5 - footnotes work like a charm
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:11
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 3, 2007

I have a document with a lot of footnotes and I have to admit, it works like a charm. The solution is elegant: TWB opens and closes an extra window for footnotes and it records them in a new (and elegant) way in the translation unit.

A note of warning: the footnote numbers get an extra bracket of hidden marks, something like [1}footnote number {1]. If one of the pair is missing (it can happen if source is cut and pasted and the footnote is at the end of the selection) then the tran
... See more
I have a document with a lot of footnotes and I have to admit, it works like a charm. The solution is elegant: TWB opens and closes an extra window for footnotes and it records them in a new (and elegant) way in the translation unit.

A note of warning: the footnote numbers get an extra bracket of hidden marks, something like [1}footnote number {1]. If one of the pair is missing (it can happen if source is cut and pasted and the footnote is at the end of the selection) then the translation unit does not want to close etc.

Still, a minor fly in a big positive ointment.

smo
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:11
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
I concur Mar 3, 2007

Did a similar job recently and Workbench opened and processed the footnotes in Word very easily.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:11
English to French
+ ...
It is great Mar 3, 2007

However, the first time I had to work with footnotes, I wasn't sure how to open the footnote (I expected WB to open them on its own, without human intervention, upon Set - Close / Open - Get). The hidden marks confused me at first... I guess editing footnotes with WB is much like editing textboxes - you have to keep in mind that they are separate from the rest of the text. Make sure you keep an eye out for footnotes!

Now that I know how to deal with this, editing footnotes is a bree
... See more
However, the first time I had to work with footnotes, I wasn't sure how to open the footnote (I expected WB to open them on its own, without human intervention, upon Set - Close / Open - Get). The hidden marks confused me at first... I guess editing footnotes with WB is much like editing textboxes - you have to keep in mind that they are separate from the rest of the text. Make sure you keep an eye out for footnotes!

Now that I know how to deal with this, editing footnotes is a breeze.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

positive experience with TWB 7.5 - footnotes work like a charm

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »