https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/67518-converting_mif_into_rtf_and_backwards_after_translation.html

Converting mif into rtf and backwards after translation
Thread poster: Gülay Özpulat
Gülay Özpulat
Gülay Özpulat
Germany
Local time: 01:54
English to Turkish
+ ...
Mar 5, 2007

Hi,

Can you give me some advise about converting Frame Maker text (mif) into rtf and the converted rtf after translating the text back into mif w. S-tagger f. Frame Maker?
Schall I let all the tags within the converted rtf text after translation?
Thanks for helps in Advance!
cilga

Véronique L.
Véronique L.  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
converting mif into rtf and vice versa Mar 5, 2007

Hi,

To convert mif into rtf and vice versa, do the following:

- Click Start > Programs > SDL International (or Trados if you have a previous version) > Filters > S-Tagger for FrameMaker
- Click on the Convert MIF tab then click on the Convert MIF button
- Browse to the right folder and select the mif files to be converted
- Browse to the folder where to you want to place your STF (*.rtf) files
- When everything's fine, click OK

An an
... See more
Hi,

To convert mif into rtf and vice versa, do the following:

- Click Start > Programs > SDL International (or Trados if you have a previous version) > Filters > S-Tagger for FrameMaker
- Click on the Convert MIF tab then click on the Convert MIF button
- Browse to the right folder and select the mif files to be converted
- Browse to the folder where to you want to place your STF (*.rtf) files
- When everything's fine, click OK

An ancillary file will be createad. Do not forget to translate it as it contains some important info (repetitions such as "page" "see chapter", etc). I would also advise you to check that there is no problem with tags in your rtf files using the Verify S-Tags tab in S-Tagger.

When you're done with your translation:

- Start S-Tagger for FrameMaker
- Click on the Convert STF tab then click on the Convert STF button
- Browse to the folder where you placed the *.rtf files that you've translated
- Select the files to be converted (including the ancillary) and click OK

Hope it helps!

Véronique
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Read the Trados PDF guide Mar 6, 2007

Hi all,

The MIF conversion somersaults can be intimidating, and you need a good understanding of the process before you set out.

In the generic Trados File Formats Guide, there is only a few pages outlining the process, but it's not detailed enough.

I believe there is a much more exhaustive PDF somewhere on SDL's ftp, specifically dealing with all the conversion steps and S-Tagger filter settings. I don't have time to dig up the path, maybe someone else can
... See more
Hi all,

The MIF conversion somersaults can be intimidating, and you need a good understanding of the process before you set out.

In the generic Trados File Formats Guide, there is only a few pages outlining the process, but it's not detailed enough.

I believe there is a much more exhaustive PDF somewhere on SDL's ftp, specifically dealing with all the conversion steps and S-Tagger filter settings. I don't have time to dig up the path, maybe someone else can help?!

/Jan
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Path found... Mar 15, 2007

Hi all,

Just in case someone chances upon this thread, here is the path to the official Trados guide:

ftp://download.trados.com/doc/english/T7STagger_en.zip

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting mif into rtf and backwards after translation

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »