https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/67604-installing_trados_on_second_pc.html

Installing Trados on second PC
Thread poster: Radka Crossley
Radka Crossley
Radka Crossley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:16
English to Czech
+ ...
Mar 5, 2007

HI, I may probably be repeating a question here but looking through all the threads, I have not found an answer to my problem. I have just installed my Trados 6 on my new laptop, after using it happily on my desktop for years. I plug the dongle in and it is lit up but when I open Workbench it tells me it runs in demo mode because there is no dongle. I tried to open files and browse into dongle but it has none of my memories in it. After reading through the post, I realised I need to register so ... See more
HI, I may probably be repeating a question here but looking through all the threads, I have not found an answer to my problem. I have just installed my Trados 6 on my new laptop, after using it happily on my desktop for years. I plug the dongle in and it is lit up but when I open Workbench it tells me it runs in demo mode because there is no dongle. I tried to open files and browse into dongle but it has none of my memories in it. After reading through the post, I realised I need to register so I clicked on that, it ran something in BIOS mode and then it stopped and did or said nothing. Do I have to be connected to the Internet for that? (I have not set that up yet...). Or is there anything else I need to do? I also have similar problem with multiterm, I tried to import projects saved on a flash disc and it's not doing it.

Any advice would be appreciated
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:16
English to Polish
Dongle drivers... Mar 6, 2007

Look for dongle drivers and install them again.

HTH,
Wojtek

Radka Crossley
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I get my memories to the second PC? Mar 7, 2007

Thank You Wojtech, I did that and now the dongle is recognised. However my ignorance goes deeper than I imagined... I just assumed that I would plug the dongle in and my memories would be on that...
Now I don't know how to get them from my desktop to my laptop. Just copying them to a flash drive does not work, it tells me that the system cannot find the file specified.If I open the memories in my desktop, it does not give me an option to save them in any other format, or does it? If somebo
... See more
Thank You Wojtech, I did that and now the dongle is recognised. However my ignorance goes deeper than I imagined... I just assumed that I would plug the dongle in and my memories would be on that...
Now I don't know how to get them from my desktop to my laptop. Just copying them to a flash drive does not work, it tells me that the system cannot find the file specified.If I open the memories in my desktop, it does not give me an option to save them in any other format, or does it? If somebody could explain it in very simple terms, I would be most obliged.
Thanks,
Radka
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Poland
English to Polish
It's a set of files Mar 8, 2007

Your translation memory is a set of five files, for example:
Sample.tmw
Sample.iix
Sample.mdf
Sample.mtf
Sample.mwf

You have to copy all of them to be able to open TM on a different machine. If you don't see the file extensions in Explorer, select from Explorer menu Tools, Folder Options, View and de-select Hide extensions for known file types checkbox.

Radka Crossley
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great, thank you - now Multiterm Mar 8, 2007

Hello Wojtek,
Thank you ever so much, it has worked. But how complicated is that?
Now I hope you may be able to advise me with Multiterm, it is a similar problem - I copied the files but cannot open them. I assume they consist of a set of files too? I am really grateful for all your help.
Radka

Wojciech Froelich
Poland
English to Polish
Is it Multiterm 5? Mar 9, 2007

What is the Multiterm version? 5?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing Trados on second PC

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »