Mobile menu

Unable to segment files properly in TW
Thread poster: Carmen Cuervo-Arango

Carmen Cuervo-Arango  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2007

I am a DejaVuX user, but I often have to segment files in Trados and import them into DVX so that I can deliver uncleaned translation to clients who want me to use Trados.

The process I follow in order to import these Trados files is:

I open the Word file I want to translate and convert it to an rtf file
I open Translator’s Workbench + Tools + Translate – Add (I select the right rtf file) + Translate.

I close TW and I usually get a segmented file which I can see in Word and import in DVX without problems.

Nevertheless, for some reason, I have problems in getting it right with some of the files I receive. Sometimes it is just 1 out of 4 files received together from the same client. In this case, the segmentation process seems to work properly in Trados, but when I try to see the file in Word with the Show and Hide function (that is, checking that it is segmented) I get a Word error message as soon as I try to open the rtf file. Then Word tells me that it is going to close the programme and wants to send information to Microsoft about the error and my PC details.

In that case, there is nothing I can do. I might be able to open the file later in Word, but it is always cut and damaged. If I go to "? – About Microsoft Word", I can see that file has been unauthorized (“Elementos deshabilitados” in the Spanish version). I select it and authorize it, but the problem remains.

Moreover, if I try to import this damaged file into DVX, Word will propose me later to recover a damaged file called DVXTradosPort [Original]. Anyway, the problem starts before that in TW or in Word.

Does anyone know what’s going on? Is there anything I have to change in Word configuration or in the Trados demo version in order to avoid this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,

[Edited at 2007-03-06 20:21]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to segment files properly in TW

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs