SDL Edit vs SDL Lite
Thread poster: Umutay Midinova

Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 14:49
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 11, 2007

To be strict what I am interested in is not SDL Trados, but SDL, the free version which is possible to download from the site. I have downloaded and installed it just in case. Recently I was asked to perform a test using this CAT. The sent file is not opened in this version, though has the right extension. They provided me by another link, and this CAT is SDL Lite, not SDL Edit as at my computer. They say that the problem was here.
I didn't dowload the day they sent the message, but tried to dowload several days after. Now the link doesn't work--the server has internal error. My question is--how could SDL Edit perform some task of editing, if it is impossible to open its own file?

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:49
English to German
+ ...
Not all itd files can be opened in SDL Lite Mar 11, 2007

Hi Umutay,

SDL Edit is one module of SDLX (which is one of the two applications included in SDL Trados). While the Standard and Professional versions of SDLX have quite a few other modules, SDLX Lite, the version you downloaded, consists only of SDL Edit. So I you probably did download the correct application in the first place.

However, you can only use SDLX Lite to work on files that were created with SDLX Elite. So, if you use SDLX Lite, whoever sends you an itd file to work on will need to create this in the Elite version. Files that are created in SDLX Standard or SDLX Professional cannot be opened in SDLX Lite. - I guess this is what happened here.

In this case you will need to get SDL Trados Freelance (which includes SDLX Standard) in order to be able to open the file you received. You can download a trial version of the application from www.translationzone.com. SDLX will be fully functional for a trial period of 30 days.

HTH

Best regards,
Claudia

Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 14:49
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 11, 2007

Thank you Claudia,

By your comprehensive answer you give me understanding of the problem and also provide me with stuff I could use against a not responsible manager, who doesn't know which is which and made me to do downloading job once again.

Be happy

Umutay

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Edit vs SDL Lite

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs