Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2007

Hi.

Probably a dumb question, but here goes. I am going to be participating in a large ongoing project that will require me to purchase SDL. I\'ve already got Trados 6.5.

So I ask: Is SDL 2007 (or 2006, at least until the 2007 version is available) compatible with Trados 6.5 memories? Would I still have to upgrade my Trados to 7.0 if I had SDL 2007?

Any advice you can provide would be welcome.

Thanks!
Sandra

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:31
English to Indonesian
+ ...
compatible Mar 12, 2007

i exported my trados 6.5 tm to txt, then imported it to trados 7/sdl trados 2006 without any problem.
as sdl trados 2006 contains trados 7, i think sdl trados 2007 will also contain higher version of trados 7.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:31
English to French
A related warning Mar 13, 2007

As far as I experienced, the Analyse and Batch translation features of SDLX bundled with SDL trados 2006 (or the other way round) are valid for a 30-day period only. This version of SDLX is "Standard", and these features come with the "Professional" version.
So if you plan to manage a project with SDLX for more than the trial period, you may be better off purchasing the standalone SDLX Pro.
If you're going to receive pre-chewed .itd files, there is a free SDL Lite application that allows you to work on SDLX files (http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products-corp/sdlx/products-downloads-sdlx.htm). Maybe you could try playing around with this before making a decision.
Regards,
Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL and Trados Compatibility

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs