Mobile menu

new Trados user - backup files
Thread poster: Alexandra Speirs

Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:34
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2007

I've just started using Trados (6.5 Freelance) so it still has a lot of mystery for me.... I see that, when I made my clean-up file, it also produced a backup (filename.BAK). Do I need to keep this file? I have kept the uncleaned file with its original name.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:34
English to Indonesian
+ ...
.bak = uncleaned file Mar 12, 2007

you can open .bak in ms word. it is the uncleaned file.

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:34
English to Greek
+ ...
Re Back-up files Mar 12, 2007

Trados automatically saves a "bak" file when you clean up your translation, and as our colleague says in his response, .bak files can be opened in word for correction, TM updating. Whether you keep it or not depends on what you usually do, or what you plan to do, or if the agency/customer you are working with, actually requires them.

Hope this helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

new Trados user - backup files

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs