Thread poster: Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
Member (2003)
German to French
Mar 15, 2007

SDL Trados 7.5.0.756 with Word 2002

I was working on a word file and translating the bottom of the page, when suddenly, whatever Trados command I typed (keyboard or button in the toolbar), I got no reaction at all and no error message. Only the first letter situated immediatly after the mouse cursor gets grey highlighted and that's all.
I closed and reopened Word and Trados, to no avail.
I just tried on another file, everything's running perfect.

Any clue o
... See more
SDL Trados 7.5.0.756 with Word 2002

I was working on a word file and translating the bottom of the page, when suddenly, whatever Trados command I typed (keyboard or button in the toolbar), I got no reaction at all and no error message. Only the first letter situated immediatly after the mouse cursor gets grey highlighted and that's all.
I closed and reopened Word and Trados, to no avail.
I just tried on another file, everything's running perfect.

Any clue of what's happening ?
Many thanks in advance
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 12:00
English to Spanish
Field Code Mar 15, 2007

I think you are referring to a Field Code.
If so, go to:

TOOLS > OPTIONS > VIEW and select "Never" on the little bar at your right where it says "Field shaded" (or something alike).

Hope this helps.

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
No Mar 15, 2007

Thank you Tadzio, but no, I'm not referring to field codes...

It's quite difficult to describe, but whatever command I enter, I got no reaction at all : no segment opens, no error message appears, nothing... but I get only a grey highlighted letter (always the first character directly next the cursor, wherever the latter is in the text).
My doc contains no field codes, I know it for sure

Well, I man
... See more
Thank you Tadzio, but no, I'm not referring to field codes...

It's quite difficult to describe, but whatever command I enter, I got no reaction at all : no segment opens, no error message appears, nothing... but I get only a grey highlighted letter (always the first character directly next the cursor, wherever the latter is in the text).
My doc contains no field codes, I know it for sure

Well, I managed to finish my job as it wa a very short file, but this is an annoying problem...

Sylvain
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Same here... Mar 15, 2007

The same thing happened to me once, with just one file. No matter where I put the cursor, Trados wouldn't recognise the segment, and I got that grey highlight too. I never solved it and no-one on Proz knew the answer. In the end I translated the document in the old-fashioned overwrite manual mode. Fortunately, it has only happened once in 12 years - may it be another 12 before I meet the same problem again.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can always pretranslate... Mar 16, 2007

If you started with file X0 and got this kind of irritating behavior with Xn (for the nth version) , you can always dump Xn and pretranslate from X0.

Or am I missing something?

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 16, 2007

lexical : I'm "happy" I'm not the only one
Vito : fortunately, it was only 1 very short file to translate, so pretranslate was not necessary.

regards,
Sylvain

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hidden Tracked changes? Mar 19, 2007

I have had that when the document had hidden tracked changes.

Have you tried accepting all changes?

Another possibility might be to see if the document has hidden bookmarks and delete them.

Sophie Cuvex
Sophie Cuvex
Spain
English to French
+ ...
SAME PROBLEM WITH ALL THE DOCUMENTS!! Jul 11, 2007

Hi There,

I've been trying to use trados yesterday and the same thing happened to me, unfortunetly, with all the documents I try. Do you have any new clue of what is happening? I have a translation for tomorrow and they need it done with trados, uncleaned.

thanks

Sophie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent : strange behaviour in Word - no reaction

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »