Suzanne Deveson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:43
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 17, 2007

Hi all,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to working with Tag Editor and although the client has explained the basics, I keep getting error messages about spacing differences. I can't seem to discover these spacing differences. If there are double spaces in the source text I suppose I should keep these the same in the target? But even if I do this, the message does not disappear, even if I close the screen and click 'verify' again. Do these spacing differences refer to spacing differences just before or after a tag or between 'normal' text? I can see it gives you the exact location in the error message, but when I double click on the message to get me to the exact location it usually stops just before or after a tag, and I can't detect any spacing differences there. I would be most grateful for any help you might be able to offer.

[Edited at 2007-03-17 21:42]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"spacing differences"? Mar 17, 2007

I can't detect any spacing differences there. I would be most grateful for any help you might be able to offer.

I'm just curious - spacing differences?? Is that the expression popping up with the error, or is it its translation? When do you get this message - in the Verify? Or when opening the file? When opening/closing a segment? All segments or just some of them? What happens if you copy in the source and then close the segment?

What does the Verify say - is it a serious or just an informative error? May be you're (unnecessarily) too strict - see Tools/options/Verification.

Regards

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes - that's exactly what the verification message says. Mar 18, 2007

The message appears when I use the option tool, verify and look under verification messages. The exact phrase reads: "There are spacing differences between source and target after tag" (with the location behind it).

How can I tell whether it is a 'serious' or 'informative' error? I was under the impression I should make sure there are no errors reported there.

Any ideas anyone?

[Edited at 2007-03-18 09:25]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
check the TagEditor setup Mar 18, 2007

How can I tell whether it is a 'serious' or 'informative' error? I

... as I hinted: see Tools/Options/Verification: you can chose the severity of the errors reported there.

Regards

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'strict' setting Mar 18, 2007

Thanks, Vito. I was instructed by the client to put it on the 'strict' setting. If it's not a problem that is immediately recognised by other users, I suppose I'll have to ask them about it. Thanks for your help, Vito!

Kind regards,

Suzanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spacing differences in Tag Editor SDL Trados 2006

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs