Italy
Local time: 11:18
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 19, 2007

Hello,
I have Trados 7.0 Version and:
1) it seems to work but I cannot see the source segments: once translated I only see the target unless I clic again on the segment and it opens the source too;
2) I cannot open the Trados menu because Word crashes.
3) I can translate and make the clean up.

Does anyone know what happens?
Do I have to install Trados again?

Thanks to you all!

María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda
María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:18
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Mar 19, 2007

In the first part I believe you have to go to TOOLS / OPTIONS and select HIDDEN TEXT so you see the source;

2nd: Go to TOOLS / TEMPLATES and add TRADOS 7.0 in the word menu;

3rd: Try the previous suggestion

and NO PANIC)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Mar 19, 2007

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this dedicated forum for any issues related to SDL and/or Trados.

This question has been discussed on numerous occasions in the past; you may want to search this forum for "hidden text". In fact, this is not a Trados function, but a Word function.

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudia Marino
Claudia Marino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 19, 2007

Ok for the 1)...instead about 2)...Trados7.dot is already there...

However many thanks!
Claudia

Claudia Marino
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK! Mar 19, 2007

...and thanks!

libhf
libhf
United States
Local time: 05:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
My problem of Word and Trados Mar 19, 2007

I am posting this here in case someone has experienced a similar situation.

I have been using Freelance since 2001. First there was 6.5 and now 2006 version 7.1. No problems at all.

Suddenly Word days Trados is not running.

I thought this may be a license issue (why? it beats me, becuase you can never get a straight answer from Trados), so I uninstalled 7.x and reinstalled version 6.5 with the dongle license.

Problem still exists.

... See more
I am posting this here in case someone has experienced a similar situation.

I have been using Freelance since 2001. First there was 6.5 and now 2006 version 7.1. No problems at all.

Suddenly Word days Trados is not running.

I thought this may be a license issue (why? it beats me, becuase you can never get a straight answer from Trados), so I uninstalled 7.x and reinstalled version 6.5 with the dongle license.

Problem still exists.

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light, because as is, my TM software is worthless.

Thanks in advance

Hikmat

PS to Moderator: I posted the problem elsewhere on the Trados support forum but have not gotten any replies, I think mainly because the threads date back to 2 or more years.

[Edited at 2007-03-19 22:39]
Collapse

Claudia Marino
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unclear! Mar 20, 2007

Hi Hikmat,
sorry but it's not clear what 's the matter...could you explain it again, pls?

libhf
libhf
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Summary of actions leading to error msg about Trados Mar 20, 2007

Hi Claudia,

Thanks for responding. This is the running scenario:

1. Open TW4Win.

2. Open Winword.

3. I put the cursor on the beginning of a line.

4. I hit the Open/Get icon on the Trados Menu bar in Word.

5. Instead of opening the fields for inputting target language text, a Error message pops up in the Word saying: "Trados Workbench is not running"

6. I verify the following:

a. Both Trados an
... See more
Hi Claudia,

Thanks for responding. This is the running scenario:

1. Open TW4Win.

2. Open Winword.

3. I put the cursor on the beginning of a line.

4. I hit the Open/Get icon on the Trados Menu bar in Word.

5. Instead of opening the fields for inputting target language text, a Error message pops up in the Word saying: "Trados Workbench is not running"

6. I verify the following:

a. Both Trados and Word are running in the Processes in Task Manager.

b. The Trados template is properly placed in the startup folder of Word.

c. Trados and its companion applications are functioning under a valid license.

Claudia, this is where I am now. I have of course done several unintalls and reinstalls, disable all sorts of things like firewalls, anti virus, windows security upgrades, but nothing is having any effect on this behavior.

Please do let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at this.

Best,

Hikmat
Collapse

Claudia Marino
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
open the Workbench! Mar 20, 2007

Hi Hikmat,
this is quite normal!
You should open the Trados Workbench in order to start working with Word/Trados.

Open the Workbench, set up a TM (that is: create it if none exists) and you can go ahead with working.

Hope this helps,
Claudia

libhf
libhf
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Workbench is the first thing opened. Mar 20, 2007

Hi Claudia,

This is the first thing I do. It opens with the message that the TM of my choice is exclusively open.

What baffles me is that I do exactly the same things I have been doing ever I started working with Trados. Yet despite everything I still get the error message.

Hikmat

[Edited at 2007-03-20 21:24]

libhf
libhf
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Update Mar 22, 2007

Trados support could not resolve the issue. They said it is impossible to replicate the situation in a case like this.

I created 2 control situations--Installed the same versions of Trados and Word on a virtual machine and a separate test machine. There was no problem at all with the functioning of Word. It was able to recognize Workbench and I worked smoothly on both. However, being test machines, they are not the ideal place to do mission critical work.

I have come to
... See more
Trados support could not resolve the issue. They said it is impossible to replicate the situation in a case like this.

I created 2 control situations--Installed the same versions of Trados and Word on a virtual machine and a separate test machine. There was no problem at all with the functioning of Word. It was able to recognize Workbench and I worked smoothly on both. However, being test machines, they are not the ideal place to do mission critical work.

I have come to the conclusion that the problem lies in my system. Somewhere a file or some spyware must have embedded itself and caused the problem. The next step would be to do a system recovery back to a time when i did not have this problem and test how Word does.

Failing that, the only alternative left is to reformat the drive and start all over again.

Hikmat Faraj wrote:

Hi Claudia,

This is the first thing I do. It opens with the message that the TM of my choice is exclusively open.

What baffles me is that I do exactly the same things I have been doing ever I started working with Trados. Yet despite everything I still get the error message.

Hikmat

[Edited at 2007-03-20 21:24]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados with word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »