"Glue" tool and doc files
Thread poster: Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
Local time: 17:52
German to French
+ ...
Mar 20, 2007

I guess this has been already discussed before, but I couldn't find any answer.

I have a large project with about 150 doc files to translate.
I'd like to work with Trados for this project (Word or TagEditor, I don't mind in this case) and one large single file. What is the best solution to do this?
The Glue tool only works with rtf or ttx-files, is there a way to convert my 150 files so I can use the tool?

Or is there any other solution? Maybe with SDLX? I have never used this tool yet.

I have Trados 7.5.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:52
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
not Glue tool but Mar 20, 2007

another method can help:
Please read Ivan Eikås Skjøstad's method http://www.proz.com/post/325945#325945

Unfortunately Trados and SDLX have problems in dealing with large projects.

But another tool, Deja Vu may easily solve the problem.
Please read http://www.proz.com/post/458229

You can download a fully functional demo of Deja Vu and solve your problem much more easily.

Selçuk Akyüz

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 20, 2007

I was sure this was going to come with DV. I know DV, but I already used the demo, so I can't use it anyway for this project.
Transit also handles large projects well, but I prefer to stick to Trados if it's possible.
But maybe other people will be interested in the information about DV.

I took a look at the other method, you just get a list of segments, it's not very user friendly for my liking.
But if there really is no way to convert the files to rtf or ttx to just glue and unglue them, I might try this, at least for a part...

Thanks for your help!

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Trick? Mar 21, 2007

I think I have just came up with a nifty trick

First make sure you have selected the option: „Tradostag XML workflow for doc files” in Options/Translation Memory Options/Tools.

Then use Translate on all the doc files you need (Don't update, don't translate terms, don't segment unknown sentences).

If you do it with an empty TM (but I suppose you could use a relevant TM to translate, if you want), you get all the files converted to ttx. You can glue those then.
Note: make sure that you can unglue them later! I had once problems with this...

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci! Mar 21, 2007

That's the first thing I tried yesterday and it didn't work for some reason... ?!? - I probably did something wrong.
I just tried again and it works indeed.

I had also found in the meantime different tools to convert all the doc in rtf so I could "Glue" them, but this would be easier (no doc rtf conversion).

Now if you say Glue doesn't always work so well, I'll be careful...
I've used it a few times and have never had any problems so far.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Glue" tool and doc files

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs