Mobile menu

Corrupted special characters
Thread poster: Niels Barfoed

Niels Barfoed  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:04
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 20, 2007

I think this is a slightly different problem than the ones posted by other users asking for help with corrupted characters. I am using SDL Trados 2006 (Trados 7.5), Word 2003 and Win XP. The problem is, that the special Danish characters æ, ø and å get corrupted on the way from TM to document. Or in other words, if there is a 100% or fuzzy match, the Danish sentence appears perfect in the Workbench window, but the TU in the Word document has corrupted special characters. If I use the button on the Trados toolbar to "Get translation" the TU in the Word file remains faulty, whereas if I highlight the translation in Workbench and copy/paste it it displays perfect also in the Word file - but clearly in a file with 3000 matches, it's not really the solution.

Any help or good ideas as to how I can solve this issue will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I don't know which version of Trados created the TM (I received it 'As is' all 5 files NOT an exported txt or tmx file). Thanks in advance. Nich

Direct link Reply with quote

Monica Tuduce  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Partial member
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Check the Styles Mar 20, 2007

on the original document.
I had the same problem a few weeks ago, I searched all forums and found a lot of threads - not all very clear, though (try searching Styles, Fonts on SDL Trados Forums).

I manage to solve the problem - the Normal Style of the original document was defined based on Asian Fonts.
Maybe you have some strange characteristics, too.

So:
Open your document in Word.
Go to: Tools - Templates and Add-ins - Organizer - Styles. there, you have two columns: on the second one, you have the Normal style defined for your Normal.dot. I have copied it on my Normal style of my document (defined on the first column - just overwrite it).
Save, then check again the Normal style on your document.
Start translating (you have to check if it updates your TM with correct characters).

I hope you understood my explanation - sorry, but English is not one of my working languages - and I really hope it will help you.
I had a few nightmare days before I solved this problem, so I hope I can save you that

Good luck

English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately it didn' work Mar 21, 2007

Dear Monica,
Thank you very much for your input. Unfortunately it seems my problem is different from yours since changing the styles as you describe it didn't help. The problem remains. Thank you anyway.

Although I am soon finalising this job (the hard and manual way) I would still be very interested in suggestions for a solution since it is not the first time this happens.

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
font problem? Mar 21, 2007

It sounds like a font problem. I'm by no means a Trados expert, but I suspect it is using a UDF font, while your document may be using a nominally equivalent non-UDF font with the same name or a similar name (but with different codes for certain characters). It's also worthwhile to check the font substitutions of the document (Tools/Options/Compatiblity/Font Substitution) to make sure Word actually has access to the font used in the document and isn't substituting some other fort for display.

English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fonts did the trick Mar 21, 2007

Dear Ken,
Thanks for your input. I tried to change the font substitutions and other settings where you indicated. But it didn't solve the problem. However, you are right in assuming that the document uses a font which is unavailable on my system, so now I tried to change the font to Arial and it seems it solved the problem - now the TUs transfer from Trados Workbench to the document without corrupting the characters.

So thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. Hopefully this will also help others who work with 'strange' alphabets.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corrupted special characters

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs