Thread poster: Sabine Ide

Sabine Ide  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:57
Spanish to German
+ ...
Mar 20, 2007

Hi!
I am translating a big document (150 pages) with lots of graphics and images included. After some pages of translating, however, the whole formatting and numbering disappears. What could be the problem? And how could I resolve it?

Thanks! Sabine

Direct link Reply with quote

Francesco Amormino  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Don't worry Mar 20, 2007

Hi Sabine,

are you still able to work on your document? Are you using Word? Which Word version do you have?

What do you mean by "numbers and formatting"?

Francesco

Sabine Ide wrote:

Hi!
I am translating a big document (150 pages) with lots of graphics and images included. After some pages of translating, however, the whole formatting and numbering disappears. What could be the problem? And how could I resolve it?

Thanks! Sabine

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Are you using Workbench or TagEditor? Mar 21, 2007

Hi Sabine,

It's a good idea to mention what build of which Trados program you are using, which version of Word (if you are using Workbench) and what operating system you have when you are asking for help.

In general, though, translating complex Word documents in Trados Workbench can bring you up against all sorts of Word style and formatting-related problems.

If you absolutely must translate in Workbench, there is a workaround to export all the text to RTF and reimport it after translation (works like a charm), which you can check out in this thread:

http://www.proz.com/post/354127

Otherwise, use TagEditor, which maintains everything in the Word document "as is".

Your TagEditor translation memory will of course contain tags, which you may not want if you need to merge it with other TMs created using Word in Workbench. Luckily, it's very easy to remove these embedded codes from TMX-format translation memories with the freeware Olifant tool (Utilities\Remove Inline Codes):

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

Needless to say, nobody tells you all this when you're starting out!

Buon lavoro,

Giles

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Formatting and numbering disappears Mar 21, 2007

Hi there!

Thanks for your info. Ok, I should have indicated a little bit more. I just tried to make it as easy as possible, as my English is not so excelent (does not belong to my working languages...)
I am working with Word Office 2003 and Trados 7. "Charming" the document to rtf did not work.
For the moment I am able to work on the document - till it will break down next time....

Thanks! Sabine

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Images don't help Mar 21, 2007

Hi again Sabine,

Images are bad news if you are working in Workbench because the DOC-RTF conversion process in WB bloats the file size.

You can edit the Windows registry, as explained in this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224663

but you do so at your own risk!

Otherwise you could split the document up into sections, which sometimes helps, but it really does sound like a job for TagEditor.

HTH

Giles

Francesco Amormino  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Use TagEditor Mar 21, 2007

Sabine,

I would definitely switch to TagEditor then. Please let us know if you have decided to work with it and if you are satisfied with this solution.

Good luck!

Francesco

Sabine Ide wrote:

Hi there!

Thanks for your info. Ok, I should have indicated a little bit more. I just tried to make it as easy as possible, as my English is not so excelent (does not belong to my working languages...)
I am working with Word Office 2003 and Trados 7. "Charming" the document to rtf did not work.
For the moment I am able to work on the document - till it will break down next time....

Thanks! Sabine

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tag-Editor does not work Mar 22, 2007

Thanks again for your help!

I tried to open the document with TagEditor. TagEditor refused to do so
So I am working with a copy of the document till the next break down. Then, I make a new copy of the original document, make an automatical translation and keep on translating.... a bit complicated, but it works....

Sabine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting and numbering disappears

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs