Text in black square parenthesis
Thread poster: Bruno Capitelli

Bruno Capitelli  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:52
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 22, 2007

During the translation with Trados 7 I have a paragraph closed in between of square parenthesis. I don't know what does they mean and how can I get rid off of them. Can somebody help me?

Thank you
Bruno

[Edited at 2007-03-22 23:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
what does what mean? Mar 25, 2007

...I have a paragraph closed in between of square parenthesis...

Is the paragraph in the source or in the target segment?
If it it is source, can you / can you not translate it?
If it is target, is it like [...source segment ...]?

Maybe you could just copy the situation into the posting, so that we can see, what the problem is.

Regards

Vito

Bruno Capitelli  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot copy them Mar 25, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

...I have a paragraph closed in between of square parenthesis...

Is the paragraph in the source or in the target segment?
If it it is source, can you / can you not translate it?
If it is target, is it like
ce segment ...]?

Maybe you could just copy the situation into the posting, so that we can see, what the problem is.

Regards

Vito
[/quote]

Square parenthesis are in the target and only first paragraph has this problem. I can open the translation and I see both source and target without any problem. I tried to copy it but parenthesis are not transferred. I can see only the text when I copy it, no parenthesis. In the translation It's impossible to delete them with the delete button.

Thank you for your help

Bruno

Brie Vernier  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
The "problem" is Word Mar 25, 2007

Hi Bruno,

I'm pretty sure I know what you're referring to, and unfortunately the only thing I can tell you is that they are not specific to Trados, but rather to Word, and I don't know how to get rid of them either. However, they won't appear in a printout and they don't have any other impact on the text, so you don't really have anything to worry about. Still, if anyone else here has run across this issue, I'd love to hear about any further insights into it. It seems that they appear when I've highlighted a section of text, for example to copy it into a browser window or elsewhere, and I leave the section highlighted for some length of time before going back to it and continuing my work. When I remove the highlighting, the brackets are there. Lately I've noticed that it doesn't seem to matter just how long I've left it highlighted, but rather what else I've done in the intervening time, but I haven't been able to pinpoint just what actions are causing it.

Hope that helps ...

Brie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text in black square parenthesis

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs