Mobile menu

TagEditor INI Question
Thread poster: MITGrad
Local time: 12:29
Mar 23, 2007

Hi all,

I'm really hoping a TagEditor whiz can help me out here...

I'm using the HTML4.ini file supplied with Trados 6.5 to prepare a HTML file for translation. The HTML4.ini does a great job on the file all apart from some variables which are denoted in the file with the $ sign, for example:

Test the $ProductName$ application on CD.

I need to mark the content between the $ signs as Internal, but I'm having real trouble doing that with the Tag Settings Manager. Could anyone offer any help? Is this even possible I wonder?

Many thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
A lame suggestion Mar 25, 2007

... some variables which are denoted in the file with the $ sign, for example: ....Test the $ProductName$ application on

I waited to see if there's any takers (g). With my limited knowledge of the subject, I would mangle the source, changing the variable placeholders to tags

$ProductName$ ----> < ProductName>

and make the new tags valid / external / untranslatable.

[Edited at 2007-03-25 09:20]

Thanks for the idea... Mar 26, 2007

Well thanks for the idea, it's much appreciated. Sadly it's not going to work for me in this case, there are many, many other variables enclosed with the $ sign, eg:

So altering the source for all these is not really an option (I have many files also), looks like I may have to go back to RTF for these and forget TagEditor for now, such a shame as the rest of the files contents are prepared perfectly!

Thanks again for the reply though!

Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Another idea Mar 27, 2007

maybe you can add the entity characters ( &...; ) before and after your variables.

Another possibility is to use the Variable function of the workbench (via setup menu --> Replacements (Ersetzungen)). You can define a list of Variables which are not to translate. They will be handled like numbers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor INI Question

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs