Sasithorn Ariyavicha  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:59
Member (2013)
English to Thai
+ ...
Mar 25, 2007

Hi,

I'm new to Trados and using Trados 6.5 Freelance, Word 2003 (Thai Professional Edition) and Win XP. The Thai font looks fine in Translator's Workbench but when I click "Get" in Word, I always get these weird "garbage" characters. I tried changing the font of the entire document to Thai. It didn't help.

I checked the forum and followed a suggestion about Style setting, but it didn't work. Please help. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:59
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Thai font error Mar 26, 2007

I use Thai, Chinese and Japanese in Trados. I rarely maintain good "Asian fonts" for MS Word although instructions of Trados Support sites are applied. I switch to Trados 7.0 and Trados 7.5 and work on TagEditor for better format preservation.
I only found that if the original TM is in good formats, possibility that new TM MS Word interaction using good format (of course, fonts included) is higher. The original TM can be from previous TagEditor sessions, *.txt (not *.tmx) TM in Trados 6.0 format etc. I cannot explain this.
In addition, I saw some garbage fonts in TM at Workbench but I exported to *.txt TM (and *.tmx) TM successfully without garbage. I still cannot explain.
I try using TagEditor, DejaVue, Transit, Passolo or SDLX Edit instead of Trados Macros in MS Word (in Office 2000, Office XP, Office 2003 version) to maintain format preservation.
TagEditor gives intermittent errors during editing sessions (due to its incomplete compatibility with Japanese, Thai etc.) but they do not affect format preservation.
Regards,
Soonthon L.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thai font error in Word

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs