Translating InDesign files using TRADOS tag editor
Thread poster: Anaviva
Anaviva  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2007

Hi everyone

I'm starting to use tag editor (SDLX TRADOS FREELANCE 2006) to translate inx files generated by my client using InDesign. When I open a segment in Tag Editor, the source segment includes the text to be translated as well as internal tags and "". If I try to just translate the text in the blank target segment and then try to close it, I get a message saying that tags are missing in the target segment. I have to click tag editor's copy button to copy the whole of the source segment into the target segment (internal tags and "") and then overwrite the source text with my translation. It is only then that Tag Editor lets me closed the tag and proceed.

I've tried to change tag editor's viewing options but none of the viewing options are highlighted so I can't change anything.

This is making translating the document very tiresome and long-winded. Is this the way one has to translate InDesign files or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-27 21:20]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
Copy source if no match // placeables Mar 27, 2007

Hi Ana,

First of all, you should set the TM option to "Copy source if no match" in the Options > Translation memory options of the Workbench. So you are sure that all the tags of the source text will be in the target segment.

If for any reason some tags are missing in the target , simply place your cursor where the tags should be and "get" them like placeables using the buttons of the toolbar in TagEditor or the corresponding shortcuts with Ctrl+Alt+Down/Right/Left arrow.

All the tags must be in the target. It is possible to oversee the warning and to continue without some tags, but if you are not sure of what they stand for, it is highly recommended not to remove them.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Remove junk tags before translating! Mar 27, 2007

Hi Ana,

It's a little known fact that ISC/INX tend to keep a lot of "junk tags" that are irrellevant to translation.

Most of these tags are related to kerning, manual line break, and other fine-tuning of characters, that would have no impact in the translated document anyway.

The agency or client preparing this file would do you a huge service by preparing it properly in InDesign before converting it to INX/ISC.

A few simple fixes beforehand would save you hours during the translation step.

This is what the agency can do in InDesign:
- Clear all overrides (removes finetuning of paragraph and character styles)
- search/replace of line break and carriage return (many can be deleted alltogether, or replaced by space)
- Make a"two tiered" INX export!

The INX format is smart, since it will simplify recurring tags within the same paragraph. That means if a tag occurs more than one time for consecutive segments, it will replace the two junk tags with only one.
So it makes sense to open an INX file a second time in InDesign CS2, and reexport it as INX again!

If you don't have InDesign yourself, you'll need to lobby the agency to do the preparation work for you. Most probably, they don't have a clue about all this!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating InDesign files using TRADOS tag editor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs