Thread poster: Alexander Medved
Alexander Medved
Alexander Medved
Ukraine
Local time: 05:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 28, 2007

Dear Colleagues, I use Trados 7 version.
Recently my partner/customer supplied me with a TM in txt. format which fourth part or about was corrupted, that is the source language text was partially illegible characters while the target text (Eng) read well.
What I did: I added/imported the TM to my next project and after completion of the translation exported the TM in txt. format and checked it. The corrupted parts of the TM were still there. My experiments with export formats (TMX
... See more
Dear Colleagues, I use Trados 7 version.
Recently my partner/customer supplied me with a TM in txt. format which fourth part or about was corrupted, that is the source language text was partially illegible characters while the target text (Eng) read well.
What I did: I added/imported the TM to my next project and after completion of the translation exported the TM in txt. format and checked it. The corrupted parts of the TM were still there. My experiments with export formats (TMX, etc.) took me to nowhere and ended with the same result, i.e. corrupted TM. Now the question: has whoever ever encountered with the problem like that? What could be the remedy? How to overcome the situation and save the TM operational?
Please advise.
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:13
English to Indonesian
+ ...
edit the txt Mar 28, 2007

why don't you try it like this:
- export the tm to txt
- open the txt, then delete the corrupted parts
- create a new tm
- import the 'edited' txt

Alexander Medved
Alexander Medved
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
if this is the only solution Mar 28, 2007

then I am going to loose a good quarter of the TM. What I am looking for is restoring the whole TM and would appreciate every piece of advice how to do so

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 04:13
German to English
+ ...
Import problem with unicode txt files Mar 28, 2007

Hello,

this is a well known problem.

With Trados 7 the txt export files are unicode coded.
(You can create old txt export files in Trados >7). If someone makes an import of such a unicode txt file with Trados 6 (or earlier), the unicode chars comes as strange characters in the memory.

You have the following possibility to solve the problem:

Got to the data maintenance and make a global search and replace for the corrupted characters.
... See more
Hello,

this is a well known problem.

With Trados 7 the txt export files are unicode coded.
(You can create old txt export files in Trados >7). If someone makes an import of such a unicode txt file with Trados 6 (or earlier), the unicode chars comes as strange characters in the memory.

You have the following possibility to solve the problem:

Got to the data maintenance and make a global search and replace for the corrupted characters.
You can change the in the source and in the target.

Maybe it is easier, that you search for all corrupted characters in the source and delete all units which has corrupted characters in the source.

If you know the time from which on you have imported the corrupted characxters you can take a backup from a day before and clean all later translations into the backup memory.

Hope it helps.

Hans
Collapse

Alexander Medved
Alexander Medved
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
retrieve from earlier files Mar 28, 2007

That's smart. I will try this method as well...

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 04:13
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
>>Lose<< a quarter? Mar 28, 2007

...then I am going to loose a good quarter of the TM.

Fact is you never had this 25%. It takes two to tango, i.e. you need source as well as target. That english was OK, does not change the situation.

Remedy: try to get bilingual files that were the source for that part of the TM. Pls note: it's 99.99% probability, that TM just looks like the text file provided.So somebody screwed up mega, and that's probably the party who sent you the txt file.

[Edited at 2007-03-28 23:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corrupted TM for Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »